Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

hardwood

I am installing a 5" x 3/4" hardwood floor. This is a new construction home and the sub floor is 3/4" T&G Advantech. My question is should I run the floor opposite of the I-Joist or opposite of the 3/4" plywood. If I run the floor opposite of the I-Joist is there a chance that I will end up on one of the long seams? If that happens can you still nail through the seam? My son wants it run that way and I am just afraid this will become a problem. If I have to go the other direction then so be it, and he will just have to understand. I hope I can get some professional advice. Thanks guys!

worker903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

hardwood

Plywood has no real direction but some seams. You want your flooring, when possible, to stretch across your floor joists---perpindicular to them if you can. The plywood will distribute the weight (and associated live [kids and dogs jumping up and down] and dead [actual weight of all on it]) loading to a point, but the joists are the support members in this flooring scheme.

The joists cannot do their same job but for the two inches or so they are if you run parallel to them, even with plywood on top. Think about bouncing on a floor board and piece of plywood that stretches 14 feet vs one that stretches inches. Guess which one, if you did it the wrong way, will squeek and bow, sag or even snap/fracture first?

Run your flooring across your joists, not parallel to them.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

hardwood

I agree, hardwood should always be installed across the joists, especially if you only have a single subfloor.

You need to read the directions that came with your hardwood concerning the need to not only fasten, but you also need to glue anything that wide. Pretty sure it's gonna tell you to glue too.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote