Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardiebacker over tile?

Hello and thanks for a great forum.

I am remodeling a bathroom that we have expanded. The original floor was tile over a 3" concrete slab. We have knocked out a wall and extended the bathroom and want to tile the whole area. I am currently leveling the existing wood sub floor to bring it flush and level with the existing tile. My plan is to then cover the entire surface (tile and subfloor) with hardiebacker to provide a uniform surface for tile. Existing subfloor is a combination of T & G and plywood aprox 7/8" - 1" and I have 1/2" hardiebacker to put on top. I was planning on using thinset to attach the hardiebacker to the 12" ceramic tile and screws for the wood subfloor. Will this work? Is it the best way to go? Any input would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!

el_goodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hardiebacker over tile?

Not sure how you'd screw the backerboard down...You'd have to drill through the tile! In my opinion, this isn't the way to do a good job on your floor. You should take the time and effort to remove the old tile and level off the floor, perhaps with a scratch coat of thinset. Then, if you need additional thickness you can add backerboard.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Hardiebacker over tile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_goodo View Post
Will this work? Is it the best way to go?
Cannot put CBU over tile.

Tear out old tile, have a mud job done for the new tile.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #4

Hardiebacker over tile?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. The surrounding sub-floor (butting up to the tile-over-thickset) is 3/4" t&g and is close to flush with the surface of the existing tile. If I remove the tile it will be below the grade of the subfloor. If I use hardiebacker I will still have to screw into concrete if I don't use some sort of adhesive.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #5

Hardiebacker over tile?

Sorry, we were posting at the same time. Is there no way I can level the entire floor myself in preparation for tile?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,096

Hardiebacker over tile?

You cannot install any backer board over ceramic tiles or concrete. You should not install any backer over any plank flooring.

You need a real mud job with an expansion joint where tile or cencrete meets wood.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hardiebacker over tile?

What Jazman says so succinctly is this: I seriously doubt whether you will find any professional tile guy who 'recommends' tiling over tile - in any circumstance unless for more serious work has been done to the substrate beforehand. Messy business, that... Yes, there are possibiliites but the amount of work needed to get the substrate into shape to accept the new tile is as much as starting anew in the first place- and most prefer that to tiling over someone elses work. Personally I only sign my name to work I do - not someone elses'...

Not a big deal removing the old tile and concrete.

You say you have the tiles sitting on a 3" slab. Are you talking the thickness of the concrete+tile above the height of the rest of the house, or is this ground floor situation where you have a 3"-thick slab and the rest of the floor comes to about the same height?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #8

Hardiebacker over tile?

What I have is existing tile installed over a 3" slab that is sunk into the floor joists which are about 3 feet above ground. In the place where the old tub was is now open joists that I have covered with 3/8" + 1/2" plywood that brings it close to level (less than an 1/8") with the crown of the existing tile. The rest of the floor (aprox 3' x 8') was a closet and is 3/4" T&G over joists. It is now all within an 1/8" of level. I want to put in 1" square tile over the whole floor. How do you recommend I proceed with a limited budget? I can't afford to hire a contractor, but I am fairly adept at home remodelling projects. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by el_goodo; 02-15-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,096

Hardiebacker over tile?

OK, so part of the floor is tile on a mud base. (concrete) Part is just 3/8 + 1/2" plywood over joists. And the rest is 3/4" planks over joists. Right?

If so, that will not work. There is no method to install tiles (and expect them to last) over these surfaces as is.

The only way this can work is to place deck-mud over everything as earlier suggested, after a bit of prep of course. I suggest you save up and do it right. It'll cost 3 x more if you don't.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #10

Hardiebacker over tile?

Thanks for the info. How would I lay the deck mud?