Hardie Board For Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hardie board for floors

I have installed hardie board prior to tiling a bathroom floor. Manufacturers instr. say to make the screws flush - however many do stick up a little, but a lot less than the thickness of the thinset I will be applying (1/4"). I would say the screws that are not flush or lower are protrudung no more than the thickness of a wallboard blade. Do I have to unscres and reapply the non-flush ones?

Advertisement

npeswillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

hardie board for floors

Hi Willie,

1st question, what is under the Hardie and did you spread thin set underneath as you installed the boards?

Sometimes just backing the screws out a little then forward again does the trick. Otherwise roofing nails work like a charm.

The thin set spread with a 1/4" trowel, (might not be big enough, but I don't know the type or size of the tiles) may be 3/16" high, when tiles are set into it, max thickness 3/32". So the floor need to be flat.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hardie board for floors

Thanks Jaz: When you said roofing nails would work, I only re-screwed the worst ones. It seems to me that most of the screws were not sticking up any further than the nail heads would be.

By the way, I did not use thin-set putting the hardie board down. The subfloor was solid and level. The Hardie rep said that it was not necessary when floor was solid and level - this info is thru the tiling expert at my local Lowes. Time will tell if hs is full of it. Thanks again.
npeswillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

hardie board for floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeswillie View Post
Thanks Jaz: When you said roofing nails would work, I only re-screwed the worst ones. It seems to me that most of the screws were not sticking up any further than the nail heads would be.

By the way, I did not use thin-set putting the hardie board down. The subfloor was solid and level. The Hardie rep said that it was not necessary when floor was solid and level - this info is thru the tiling expert at my local Lowes. Time will tell if hs is full of it. Thanks again.
He must not read his companies instructions for laying it down. he is incorrect. Please, before you go any further, go back and do this.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 534

hardie board for floors

The thin set under the tile board is to fill any small low spots between the floor joist. Without it the tile board will flex and the tiles may crack.
Sometimes I counter sink the screw holes with a 1/2 masonery drill bit so the screws will set flat to the surface.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

hardie board for floors

Willie, you said...............

Quote:
By the way, I did not use thin-set putting the hardie board down. The subfloor was solid and level. The Hardie rep said that it was not necessary when floor was solid and level - this info is thru the tiling expert at my local Lowes.() Time will tell if hs is full of it.
FYI, there are no experts at Lowes. Applying thin set under all backer boards is critical for a good long lasting floor tile installation. You should stop and do it right.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
framer52 (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 528

hardie board for floors

And for the second time in this thread, do what the Jazzman says, it is critical...

Do not assume the people worjking at lowes are close to being correct.

Around here, it is failed contractors that work at the big box stores.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

hardie board for floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeswillie View Post
... the tiling expert at my local Lowes.
This is an oxymoron. While there may in fact be the occasional expert at one of the big box stores, they are few and far between. Just because they are lurking in a given aisle and present themselves as experts does not mean a thing.

Think about it. Why would a tile guy work retail at Lowes when he can make more than twice as much actually laying tile for a living?
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 164

hardie board for floors

maybe his knees hurt and he is tired of being underbid by young whippersnappers

Advertisement

kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote