Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

hard wood floors

We have hard wood floors that I stained and sealed with 2 layers of polyurethane. The result is that in some places it is smooth and glass like. But in other places I can see ridges from the paint brush strokes. What happened that I got ridges and what can I do now to fix it?

debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

hard wood floors

You're overworking your finish. Poly is self leveling & should be applied thick on level flat surfaces.

What to do now? Lightly sand the rough areas with a drywall screen, or 120-150 grit paper. vacuum & tack clean with a rag liberally dampened with mineral spirits & recoat with a heavy coat of finish. If you have access to a lambs wool applicator, you'll get better results than with a brush. 1 other tip, thin your top coat of finish with about 10-15% of naptha & it'll flow out baby butt smooth.

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 87

hard wood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
You're overworking your finish. Poly is self leveling & should be applied thick on level flat surfaces.

What to do now? Lightly sand the rough areas with a drywall screen, or 120-150 grit paper. vacuum & tack clean with a rag liberally dampened with mineral spirits & recoat with a heavy coat of finish. If you have access to a lambs wool applicator, you'll get better results than with a brush. 1 other tip, thin your top coat of finish with about 10-15% of naptha & it'll flow out baby butt smooth.
Thanks for the info. I thought I was sunk. Is there a limit as to how many layers I can put on?

Last edited by debd; 11-27-2009 at 10:47 AM.
debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

hard wood floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by debd View Post
Thanks for the info. I thought I was sunk. Is there a limit as to how many layers I can put on?

Yes, but it's not till you get to at least 5 that you need to be concerned. Even then, it's not call for a lot of concern. Get it to thick & it becomes brittle rather than flexible.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

hard wood floors

Hand sand entire area with 120-150 grit screen with the grain of the wood. Then tack floor with a towel that has been soaked with water and rung out tightly to remove as much water as possible. Put towel on floor and put push broom on top of towel then pull front of towel over broom. Tack floor by pushing towel/broom combo over floor, flipping towel occasionally to create clean towel to tack floor and ensure dust free surface. With a brush, coat the perimeter of the floor with an even coat of polyurethane then coat the largre area of the floor with a roller/handle combination using a mohair cover or a 1/4" nap cover. The roller method is the best way to apply oil base polyurethane.(Note: In my humble opinion I would not use any Duraseal products as it bubbles and shows lap lines using this method.
addvance is offline   Reply With Quote