DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hard wood floor install help

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  shotdown 
#1 ·
I have a dip on the subfloor in an area where I am going to install hardwood nail down floor. What can I use to fill in that dip? (2ft by 3ft hallway)Have no acess to the beams, 80yr old house. Thanks. I have seen the self leveling compound, but they are cement based products, and I know the nails will not go thru that. Thanks so much, all suggestions welcomed.

#4 ·
Hey Atlantic West, are you around? All suggestions welcomed as well. I have a friend that is going to lend me a power nailer, the ones used for flooring to make things go a little faster. The one that hooks up to the compressor. It states it uses staples and nails, what size and which type are the best for 3/4 hardwood ? Thanks

#7 ·
Thanks to all, I will definately use the staples. Also where the gun won't reach because of the wall, what type of nailer should I use ? Would an 18 guage brad nailer with 2 inc brads do, or should I use my 16 guage finish nailer? They will be certain areas that I will be able to get the nail in the groove, but the last row will definately need face nailing. Thanks guys...

#8 ·
I just completed 1100 square feet of 2-1/4 white oak, and used the 2-1/2" staples...seemed to draw the floor up well, just poked through the sub floor.

We used a finish hailer like you suggested for the area near the wall...I really like the bostitch finish nailer that has the molded plastic foot with a little ridge in the center, it helps keep the nail centered when driving in close quarters. One row was close enough that we used the 18 gauge brads (a boat load of brads were used) then when we HAD to face nail, we returned to the finish nailer.

I'd make you a heck of deal on about a third of a box of staples...left overs.

#12 · (Edited)
FWIW - Whether he did or he didn't, (In case you are asking for general information purposes).....there should be a 1/4" to 3/8" expansion gap.
BTW -'If' H.H. attached his sheetrock onto the wall and left a space under it (1/2"+ off the subfloor), then it may ''visually'' appear that there is no flooring gap, if viewing from a certain angle...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.