Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

hard wood floor

I put down a oil base stain left it dry for 24 hrs. My question- i bought a water base Polyeurthane (Verathane the name). Can this go over oil base? Also should i scuff between coats? The label on the Verathane says you don't have to scuff between coats..Thanks

lemley98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #2

hard wood floor

Shouild i scuff the oil base stain before putting on the Verathane?

lemley98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

hard wood floor

No scuffing---just vacumme and go---a tack cloth might be needed if the floor has a lot of dust---

Screening the floor after the second coat will remove any boogers that are stuck in the finish--then vacumme and tack--and add the final coat---Mike---

I'm moving this to 'flooring'
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #4

hard wood floor

At Top Toronto Flooring we deliver long lasting, high quality hardwood floors in Toronto and hardwood flooring products as Engineered Flooring, Laminate Flooring, Bamboo & Cork Flooring in Toronto.

Last edited by torontoflorring; 04-23-2012 at 12:57 AM.
torontoflorring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #5

hard wood floor

Water and oil don't mix well. The rule is that you can put an oil over a water base, but vice versa may cause you a problem with adhesion. You may not see it now, but after a few months of cleaning, you may have a problem. It;s always better to use oil and oil or water and water for a reason.
Oil polys have a longer wet time, as they are slower to dry. It can make avoiding lap marks easier.
Also, FYI, the VOC's have been changed in polys. If you are using an oil product for your poly, it's better to spend a few extra dollars and get the quarts. THe VOC in them is still 550, and it's a good product. I just did 3 floors and a hall in my house, and bought the gallons. At the time, I didn't know that the VOC's effect the actual workability of the poly. THe VOC on any oil poly cannot be more than 350 a gallon per EPA regulations. I had a hard time with adding the right amount of minerals to avoid streaking. I sanded down again and went and bought the quarts instead and all is well in the world again.
Some polys require a sanding in between. but some do not if applied with a certain time line, usually no longer than 12 hours.
I would read the label for those instructions to not void the warranty and CALL the manufacturer. I did and found this out from the manufacturer.
I'm am an avid recycler and try to watch and make sure I contribute as little damage to this planet as I possibly can, but in this case, I needed them VOC's!
Good luck!!
Janetp is offline   Reply With Quote