Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Share |

It is hard to find 1/2 t and G plywood so would regular plywood be ok ?

I am going to put tile in kitchen. I have 1 x 12 boards runing diagonally on the joist. The joist are are on 16oc. My question is is 1/2 plywood with ditra. it is hard to find 1/2 t and G plywood so would regular plywood be ok.

dewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #2

Ceramic tile?? If yes, use 1/2" duroc or hardibacker, glued/screwed to the subfloor, thinset over mesh tape for the joints. For vinyl, 1/4" underlayment is OK.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
I am going to put tile in kitchen. I have 1 x 12 boards runing diagonally on the joist. The joist are are on 16oc. My question is is 1/2 plywood with ditra. it is hard to find 1/2 t and G plywood so would regular plywood be ok.
1/2" screwed and glued is fine with Ditra. Should be no problem, just make sure you follow the Ditra instructions i.e. modified to bond to the plywood and unmodified to bond to the tile.

PS, Just Bill's answer will work too!

rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #4

ok thanks. I went to a Home Depot yesterday to get the Ditra and they were trying to sale modified for both applications. When I finally convinced them that was wrong they showed me the un-modified thinset they had but you had to buy some bottled liquid to go with it. I decided to wait until I could get do some more investigation. Can you tell me what is a good modified and unmodified brand to use and where to get it?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #5

You certainly don't need the additive they are trying to sell you.

I would suggest that a premium thinset (higher shear strength) will perform the best given your application. Just make sure it's white.

I'm in Canada and am not certain what people are using in other places, but TEC and Profix are the two brands we use most frequently. If we're in a bind we'll use Chembond's premium modified or Mapei's.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #6

if I use 1/2 plywood glued and screwed would you screw into the joist. I've seen some places say do it some say don't. Also on the thinset you say make sure it is white. What is the reason for this?

Last edited by dewi; 04-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
if I use 1/2 plywood glued and screwed would you screw into the joist. I've seen some places say do it some say don't. Also on the thinset you say make sure it is white. What is the reason for this?
lol got confused between posts Thought you were working with glass tile for some reason but that's another thread

As for the plywood, it would give you added stability if you can screw into the joists! As for whether it's required or not I would say no it is not required but if you can add stability, why not do it!

Have fun with your project and let us know how it turns out
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Tileguy

Dewi and all,

Sorry to tell you but you've received some bad info here so far. Can't sugar coat it.

* You can NOT install ANY tile backer direct over plank subfloor...ever.

* 1/4" is made for floors and counters. 1/2" is for walls but can be used anywhere.

* You do not need t&g underlayment over your subfloor. T&G is required for subfloors only.

* You should NOT glue underlayment to the subfloor, proper screws or nails only. Gluing with bead adhesive creates voids and make the floor worse.

* You should NOT fasten new underlayment into joists, only into subfloor.

* You'll need a modified thin set to bond Ditra to your new plywood underlayment. Any of the modified mortars at HD will work fine. Their cheapest is VersaBond.

* Schluter recommends unmod for all tiles over Ditra. You will NOT find a premium quality unmodified thin set at the orange place.

* You have not yet learned to NOT ask technical questions of most of those nice people that work at the big box stores.

* You can use gray thin set, some even prefer it under Ditra. I prefer white when setting tiles though.

* Why is Bill asking if it's ceramic tile to be installed?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
rcuerrier (04-30-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #9

I just want to make sure I am clear on this. 1/2 regular plywood would be ok to use instead of 3/4 t and g plywood. I know the 3/4 would give more strenght but I am also trying to keep the height down. Use modified under ditra and non-modified under tile. I am assuming this doesn't need to be white since i am not working glass. I asked about screwing into the joist because the Ditra website said not too when others say it should be.
Thanks again for all the info.

Jazman,
Here is what I have. My subfloor is 1x12 laid diaganally on the joist which are 16oc. Do I need to use t and G over the 1x12"s? Also what is a good non-modified thinset for the ceramic tiles? the tiles will be 12x12's.

Thanks
Dean
Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #10

Dewi,

Jazz is right on. I'm sorry I got confused between threads.

To answer the question as straightforward as possible, 1/2" is fine screwed down. I've never had anyone tell me you can't screw to joists, appreciate the info on that Jazz (can you say why though so I understand better.)

Forget what I said about modified on top, again I was thinking I was posting that for the guy with the glass tile. You want modified on the bottom, unmodified on top, like Jazz said.

Quote:
* You can use gray thin set, some even prefer it under Ditra. I prefer white when setting tiles though.
We only use white when we have to, i.e. glass, marble, etc... Costs more and isn't necessary. Probably comes down to preference.

Again, sorry about the misinformation. And Jazz... thanks for clarifying for me lol One thread at a time, one thread at a time, one thread at a time...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #11

http://www.apa-europe.org/Languages/.../PDF/R340G.pdf

http://www.apawood.org/pablog/index....-Floor-Systems

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
rcuerrier (04-30-2010)
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #12

Thanks to all who have given me advice. I would like to know what is a good thinset. I have access to a lowes and home depot.

Thanks
dean
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Tileguy

Lowes & HD only? No real tile shops where you live or it that where you chose to shop?

Without reading everything again, I think you need two types of thin set.....right? A modified to bond Ditra to plywood, then a good quality unmodified to set the tiles.

If those two stores are the only choice, I guess I'll vote for Lowes. HD does not carry a quality unmodified anymore. Lowes stores carry either Laticrete or Mapei. You didn't mention which is available in your area.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #14

Jazman,
Lowes is the one in my area. I can drive to a tile store which is about an hour away. I will be glad to do that if it gives me a better quality thinset.

Thanks
Dean
Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #15

Jazman,
I also have 2 more questions. 1 is what do I use between the kitchen and entry/hallwall. I think they need to be separated with some type of expansion joint and 2 if I were to use concrete hardibacker board would I use the same type of thinset as I would use for tliling on Ditra.

Thanks
Dean

i have tiled the kitchen and was going to do the entry way but the floor sloes on a 5ft span right at an inch. what is the best way to get this somewhat even. I was going to only put down cbu on one half but that would mean I would be putting some tiles on the plywood and some on the cbu. this would help to even it out but is it ok to tile on the plywood.