Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

Grout Width around Shower Drain?

I am laying tile on a shower drain using a sheet of 2x2 stone tile. After much trial and error I believe I have done an okay job of getting the tile cut to fit a round drain. Photo is attached.

What I am concerned about is whether I have cut too tight to the drain. Is there any guidance for what width of a grout line should be left around the actual drain? Is it okay to take the tile up tight to the drain or better to have a bit more of a grout line.

Any other general gotchas to look out for when tiling around the drain are much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Grout Width around Shower Drain?-photo.jpg  

dekohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

Grout Width around Shower Drain?

A square drain grate would have made life a lot easier for yourself as they are designed for 2x2 tile so no cutting around the drain is needed.
Use a colour matched grout caulking such as by Mapei for around the grate ... Always use a silicon product such as this when going from tile to a different material such as the metal grate.
In terms of width ... 1/16" to 1/8" is best for that tile size.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote