Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

grout is white? I thought I bought quartz.....

So the grout appears to have a haze over it similar to what the tile has prior to the 2nd wipe-down. Last night I went over a couple of lines just as a test with the sponge again, and used my finger to run a little water in the grout joint. The color came back as soon as it was wet, but when I got up this morning to discover the dry grout lines that were white again.

What gives?

Edit :

Note : I did have to wipe down a third time the following day because there was still a bit of haze on the tiles. Could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited by Alan; 10-21-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,084

Hi Alan,

OK, so you bought quartz color grout at the HD and it's white. I'll bet you mixed it using too much water, started the clean up too soon using too much water and wash it too many time using too much water. Do you see a pattern here?

You washed the pigments away. Not sure you can fix this, probably not. Try washing a small area with white vinegar, rinse well using LOTS of water, let dry a few hours. If that doesn't do much. Try sulfamic acid crystal diluted per directions after the grout sets for about 10 days.

If you still don't like the results, get a grout colorant and apply. http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Jaz,

My mixing technique after much reading was to mix to the point where you can make a ball with the grout and it holds its shape. I let it set for 10 minutes before starting, then I mixed by hand to make sure the entire bucket was uniform consistency after sitting.

After this point I followed the directions on the grout bag to a T

I applied the grout, 30 minutes later, started wiping where I first started applying grout (wringing the sponge out until no more water would come out of it, and applying no pressure, letting the hydraulic action of the sponge do the work.

After waiting 2 more hours per instructions on the bag, I went back and re-wiped using the same technique with the sponge. The next morning I noticed the tile was still hazy, so when I got off work, I gave it another wipe down (24 hours after second wiping, bag says 16 hours before walking on) using the same technique with the sponge.

I hope I didn't use too much water, because it seems like I couldn't have taken any more water out of the equation. I will try the vinegar and post results. Thanks for your help.

P.S. is there a mixture for the vinegar or just straight vinegar will do the trick?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Tried the vinegar underneath where the cabinet will be going. I was hopeful at first because (just like with the water) the color appeared to come back. Checking on it this morning, however, it has gone back to white. I think the grout colorant is probably my best bet at this point. How soon after grouting can I apply it? Is there anything I need to know about the application process?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Tileguy

It sure sounds you did not use too much water. OK, try a grout haze remover, any tile shop should have one. If later you also try vinegar, start with a 1:3 dilution working to 1:2 or even straight. In the end the colorant may be your best choice.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Jaz,

Is a grout haze remover a tool or a chemical?

edit : Nevermind, I looked it up. The bottle looks familiar something I've seen at HD. I'll try it out and post results.

Pre-grout haze remover question :

If for some reason this doesn't work, how hard would it be to take out the grout and start new? Would I have to pull all of the grout out, or just deep enough to get some fresh grout in there? (keep in mind the bathroom is only 40 square feet of 12" ceramic tile, so its not very big) Only reason i'm asking is because i'd like to get it right so the technique isn't screwed up in case I want to do this again someday.

Thanks again, sir.

Last edited by Alan; 10-23-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Tileguy

If you're gonna remove it do it asap. It's been what now, 4-5 days? The top 2/3 of the space is supposed to be for grout, try to remove as much as possible. Maybe try a different brand of grout too.

Jaz

Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Applied the grout haze remover underneath where the cabinet will be 5 minutes ago. I'm gonna let it dry and see what I come up with. I'm hopeful because I could see some white junk on the brush I used.

Also just a note : I noticed that areas around where the baseboard will be that chunks of grout got into are still colored. I know now that it wasn't my mixture method, right? If I wrung my sponge out all the way and used the timing provided on the bag of grout, it shouldn't be that either, right?

Crossing my fingers on the haze remover.

P.S. I grouted monday night, so its been about 4 days
Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Any updates? Did the haze remover work for you ?
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Here's a tip for grout colour matching. Mix up the bag of grout dry so that it is completely blended in the bag, then pour some out...just a bit.

The grout colour you see there will be very close to the colour of the grout of your tiling job once it has dried throughly. So in this case, if the dry grout in the bag was quartz colour, the grout between the tiles should be that as well unless it wasn't properly mixed wet or blended dry in the bag.

FYI
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #11
Doing it myself

Haze remover made a bit of difference in spots..... now I have some quartz-ish colored areas (much lighter than the actual color should be) and some areas are still white. At this point, my grout has been sitting 1 week.

1 : I did not dry mix the bag. I read the directions on the bag and it only says to dry mix if you are using more than 1 bag. I used about 1/3 of a bag. (I see the point of dry-mixing now)
2 : What kind of problems will I have with the grout colorant? Is this a good solution or just a crappy way to fix a screw-up?
3 : Assuming the colorant is a bad idea, can i still dry mix the rest of my bag to try and re-grout, and come up with decent color results, or will it be screwed up now that i've used some of the bag already? Should I buy a new bag? (Don't have access to a different brand of grout here)
4 : How difficult of a time am i going to have trying to cut the grout out by hand?(i'm scared to use a power tool and chip the tile) How deep do I need to remove it ? Whats the best hand tool for doing this?

I'm pretty sure my technique wasn't wrong, because
A ) The large clumps between the wall and the tile are still holding their color.
B ) I wrang every drop of water out of my sponge every time. There's no way I used too much water for cleanup.
C ) I followed the timing instructions on the bag to a "T".

Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Doing it myself

P.S. Does anyone know if the stamp on the bag is an expiration date of some sort? If so, do you know how to read it? It doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

May be...could be encoded too. Probably a batch number. Either way, even if you could prove the grout was past expiry date (unofficially one year), the best you could get back is a new bag.

Yes, blending is good if you are using more than a few bags and want to get a uniform colour throughout, but different components have different settling rates, so it's just a good habit to mix the bag and its contents.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Haze remover made a bit of difference in spots..... now I have some quartz-ish colored areas (much lighter than the actual color should be) and some areas are still white. At this point, my grout has been sitting 1 week.

1 : I did not dry mix the bag. I read the directions on the bag and it only says to dry mix if you are using more than 1 bag. I used about 1/3 of a bag. (I see the point of dry-mixing now)
2 : What kind of problems will I have with the grout colorant? Is this a good solution or just a crappy way to fix a screw-up?
3 : Assuming the colorant is a bad idea, can i still dry mix the rest of my bag to try and re-grout, and come up with decent color results, or will it be screwed up now that i've used some of the bag already? Should I buy a new bag? (Don't have access to a different brand of grout here)
4 : How difficult of a time am i going to have trying to cut the grout out by hand?(i'm scared to use a power tool and chip the tile) How deep do I need to remove it ? Whats the best hand tool for doing this?

I'm pretty sure my technique wasn't wrong, because
A ) The large clumps between the wall and the tile are still holding their color.
B ) I wrang every drop of water out of my sponge every time. There's no way I used too much water for cleanup.
C ) I followed the timing instructions on the bag to a "T".

Hi Alan, I recently had similar problems with my tub surrond, what a pain in the a$#. I emailed Custom Building just asking what the probable causes could be and with no questions asked they sent me 6 bottles of grout colorant, free of charge at my door within 3 business days.

I was very hesitant at first, but I had nothing to lose as it looked like crap. I have to say, this stuff works/looks amazing! It even seals it to. You cant even tell.

The only down side is that you have to clean any mess that you get on the tiles asap and the best method for applying is a toothbrush. It took me over 5 hours, but worth every minute!

I had 3 bottles with one lot number and 3 with another, mix the bottles with the same lot numbers and you will be fine. I had over 350 linear feet of grout lines to paint and only used 2 bottles. If anyone needs a couple bottles in Haystack colour, let me know!

PS, do you have a soft water softner? If yes, did you use that water when mixing or wetting down?

Good Luck!

Last edited by moosejohnson; 10-29-2009 at 01:35 PM.
moosejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote