Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Grout and Tile Sealer

Reading too many horror stories about sealing applications gone bad I thought I should just ask. Can someone please recommend a product and technique that will have a quality finish when applied properly? I have a 2 year old bottle of tilelab sealer but am hesitant to use it since I applied a small amount in an inconspicuous place and the grout darkened quite a bit. Is this darkening expected with any sealer?

THANKS!
MisterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Tileguy

Grout and Tile Sealer

Tilelab is a line of products, does not tell me which product you have. Be more specific or send a link to the one you have.

If it's penetrating sealer, it will not change the appearance of the grout or stone at all. It'll darken them when just applied cuz it's wet, but dries invisible.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Grout and Tile Sealer

This is what I use, and have had no problems with darkening grout or anything. The guys at the John Bridge tiling forums seem to recommend it as well. Glad you brought this up, as it's about that time of year for my annual application in my bathroom.

http://www.amazon.com/StoneTech-BPSS.../dp/B00065W8G8
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

Grout and Tile Sealer

The tilelab stuff I have ended up working fine. I think I jumped the gun on allowing it to dry. How do you know when it is completely sealed though? I put two coats on new grout.
MisterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote