DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Grout peeling out from shower floor tiles. What's the problem?

13K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JazMan 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently build a new house. The shower has a water-proof base on a concrete foundation. The tiles are on the water-proof base.

My problem is that the grouts peels off from the tiles when I shower.
Got my builder to look at the problem. They claim that the issue is a grout problem. They got their tiler to come in and re-grout the tiles. After allow the grout to dry, I took a shower and the grout began to peel off gain.

Can anyone advice on where the problem is?
Is there an issue with the tiling?

#2 ·
Can you describe this waterproof base you're talking about? All showers require a waterproof membrane of one type or another. Do you know how the shower was built and with what materials, step by step?

Grout is between the tiles not on them, so how is it peel off them? If the grout comes out of the joints or is powdery, there must be movement in the floor. Are the tiles loose? Tap them with the handle of a screwdriver to listen for a dud sound. Did they use new grout the second time?

Got pictures?

Jaz

#4 ·
Yes you should seal the all grout regardless if it's a wet or dry installation. But what does that have to do with the grout coming out?

Jaz

#6 ·
Not very sure what type of base is it. It's like a big square bin cover, sloping down into the middle. What they did was that they laid the base on the concrete foundation and tiled on top of base.

Tapped on the tiles as suggested by Jazman. Sounds a bit hollow at the sides. Also I can feel the vibrations around the tiles ever though I tapped very lightly. Attached is a picture. Similar issues across the whole base.

They use new grout for both times. And since it's for the shower, I would assume the builder would have sealed the grout.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm pretty positive, (and you confirmed), the tiles are just sitting there being held in place by gravity. You need to remove all the tiles and possibly the entire base and up the wall a few rows or the entire thing.

Did they slope the floor with wood and cement backer board? Do those cut lines start at the four corners and go to the drain?

Can you post more pics or email them to me?

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.