Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

Grinding concrete to remove carpet glue, and matching height of existing laminate...

Hi, my name is David, and I came across this website via a google search. I searched the forums for an answer to this, but it didn't yield any results pertaining specifically to this question.

I currently have laminate flooring in my main hallway/foyer area, and next to it lies the dining area, which is carpeted. My cat sprayed in that carpeted area, and I haven't been able to remove the smell, so I bought matching laminate to replace the carpet with.

The problem is, when I started pulling up the carpet, I quickly realized that the pad underneath had been glued to the concrete. And I'm not talking about snail tracks - I mean it's caked between the pad and the concrete slab.

After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that the only effective way of removing this glue is by using a rental concrete grinder. Just as the name suggests, this machine removes the glue by grinding a fine layer of concrete from the top of the slab.

My question is - How thick of a layer will this grinder remove, and will it affect my ability to match the new laminate at the same height as the old? If so, how can I accurately fill the ground(grinded) area so that it provides a stable base for laminate, and is precise enough to seamlessly meet and match up/interlock with the existing laminate?

Thanks.

Last edited by dmh0284; 04-05-2013 at 11:04 AM.
dmh0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Grinding concrete to remove carpet glue, and matching height of existing laminate...

How big of an area are we talking about?

I used an 8" long handled razor blade scraper and a few replacement blades for my basement. It worked really well but it did take some elbow grease.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

I doubt you'll be taking that much off,and if you do an extra sheet of vapor barrier will make it up.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Forgot to say you may have to remove the urine odor before you do the floor,if so here's help.

http://www.remove-cat-urine.com/THE-RECIPE.html
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

brock - The room is 10.5'x11.5'. Do you think just a scraper would work? I'd much rather do that if my efforts won't be in vain.

canary - The underlayment that I'm using is a 2in1 foam/vaporshield combo. When you say add another layer of vaporshield, you mean just buy the vaporshield separately and add that to make up the difference?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the urine odor removal link. That's very helpful.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

"canary - The underlayment that I'm using is a 2in1 foam/vaporshield combo. When you say add another layer of vaporshield, you mean just buy the vaporshield separately and add that to make up the difference? "

Only IF you should grind off more material to make up for what you ground off,which i doubt very much.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh0284 View Post
brock - The room is 10.5'x11.5'. Do you think just a scraper would work? I'd much rather do that if my efforts won't be in vain.

canary - The underlayment that I'm using is a 2in1 foam/vaporshield combo. When you say add another layer of vaporshield, you mean just buy the vaporshield separately and add that to make up the difference?
I think you could get all of that scraped up in a day. I wont lead you on to believe that it wont be hard work because it is. I found that keeping a sharp blade in the scraper really helps. I think I got about 16 sq ft per blade. Keep the scraper at a 45* angle and put downward pressure on it while you're pushing forward.

The grinder will be quicker I'm sure but having never used one I dont know how much they are or how tough they are to keep constant. Worst case I guess you throw down some leveling compound afterwards.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

So, upon further investigation (see attached pic), it appears that there is only glue around the perimeter of the room. That should make it easier to scrape up (yay!), if I decide to go that route. I probably will do that, instead of renting a crazy machine that I don't know how to use.

Thanks a ton for your responses guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Grinding concrete to remove carpet glue, and matching height of existing laminate...-glue.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

I've started scraping, and it seems that I'm getting most of it off. The floor no longer feels tacky, but there still seems to be a shimmer on the floor where the glue was, when I look at the spot at an angle where light hits it. How thorough do I need to be when getting this stuff off? Won't I just be putting underlayment over it anyways?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #11

I think as long as the floor is flat you are good to go. Get off any high spots. If you truly want to get it all off you can do what we did and use hot water and a little dish soap. A little scrubbing will get it clean.