Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Non stop DIY'er!

Rewards Points: 75

Granite tile install on vanity

Bathroom remodel cont.

Does this sound like a plan for a vanity 60" long.
3/4" plywood, Thinset, 1/4 Wonderboard, Thinset, Tiles.

Is 1/4" Wonderboard enough? Any special thinset for Granite?

Thanks

bajaboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I like 2 layers of plywood for Stone, ceramic too, 3/4", then 1/2", then a membrane such as Ditra or 1/4" cementboard.

Modified thinset will be fine.

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You need two layers of 3/4" plywood The top layer should be exterior grade. 1/4" CBU is fine.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Non stop DIY'er!

Getting alot thicker than I expected. Researching Ditra. Looks like good stuff. Do you still think two layers of plywood using Ditra?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Non stop DIY'er!

Would I use un-modified thin set with Ditra?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

yes, Ditra will isolate the movement in the plywood but will do nothing with structural strength or problems with flexing on the plywood.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Two half-inch layers of exterior grade plywood undeneath Ditra seems plenty for a bathroom vanity with granite tiles - and what I remember doing. We used Rondec-STEP for the trim and it all fit together nicely.

I don't know about cbu...doesn't seems to add much, IMO. No water management, no structural support...Hmmmm; perhaps for ceramics but I'd still prefer more support for stone.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Yes, what I stated will work and two layers of 1/2" should be fine as well just for a counter, you don't HAVE to have two layers 3/4" though.

You'll be fine as long as you stand on the countertop, unless there's supports 24" or less throughout.

Always a good idea to waterproof the CBU or use a waterproofing membrane such as Ditra over the plywood.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Non stop DIY'er!

Floor is done, now for the vanity.
1). What spacing do you recommend on 12" x 12" granite?
Size is about 62" x 22".
2). Also, I need to cut two holes in the granite, one for the drain (Vessel sink), and one for the faucet (tall single type). Any suggestions on that? Do they sell a hole saw for that? Diamond blade I guess?
Thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

I just did a granite kitchen counter top and I used 2 layers of 3/4" ply and then ditra. It was my first time using ditra and it is really nice stuff and easy to work with. Also it gives you the waterproofing you should have on a countertop. It wasn't that much more than CBU and I think it is worth it. I used 1/16" spacers for the tiles. It gives it more of a solid look. Make sure you look into sealing the granite cause I read some granites will get stains from water spots and other things.

For the holes I would invest in hole saws, they are a little expensive but will give the best results. Just do a search online for diamond hole saws. Another option would be to call some local tile installers or suppliers and ask if they can drill the holes for you for a small fee. If you mark the tiles and bring the tiles to them they might do it for you for a couple bucks.

If you do end up using ditra you use modified thinset between the ditra and ply and then un modified between the ditra and granite.

Good Luck
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Non stop DIY'er!

Thanks for the tips. I just used Ditra on the floor so yes it is easier. 1/16" spacers is what I bought, so I was correct on that.

On another note, I have the pieces that go around the edges of the vanity for the finished look. Problem I see is my vanity top is only going to be 21" deep with tile and if I wanted the tiles spaced from the wall to the front evenly, grout line down the center lengthwise, I would need to cut both the back and the front since the tiles are 12" each. Doesn't look like that will be an edge for grout at the front with those pieces. Or do I use a full tile along the front and have my grout line off center lenghtwise.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

You can do it either way. It depends on the granite you have. Does the granite have a smooth square edge from the factory? If you are using a tile saw and can get a nice edge that matches the factory edge you could cut your front tiles so that the grout line is centered. I don't think cutting 3 inches off the back tiles would look that bad but guess it depends on how your tiles look. Guess I would cut a tile to center the grout line and see how that looks, if you don't like how that looks you can put a full one in front and then re-cut the tile to fit in the back row with out wasting any tiles.

Also remember that with 1/16" grout lines you need to use unsanded grout.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote