Granite Threshold - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Granite Threshold

I had some ceramic flooring done and the person did not put a threshold down. I custom ordered a granite threshold but now I need to know how to install it. When the ceramic tile was installed, he used Duraloc on top of the plywood flooring. Needless to say, the saddle will be lower than the ceramic tile. Question: 1. How can I build the saddle up so that it would be even with the Duraloc prior to laying the saddle and 2. Can I use an adhesive glue to lay the saddle or must I use mortar thinset? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Dorothycarter@optonline.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Granite Threshold

Use a multi flex white thinset mortar. This will help in your build up of the threshold. Any build up of a inch or greater will need Ardex feather finish to create the build up and then use multi flex white thinset mortar. Good luck

Advertisement

salesmanger@tomadamswc.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Granite Threshold

Never use a glue on the floor, and never with a granite, it will not bond properly. A good thick layer of white mortar will cushion it properly. If you don't put enough down you will eventually get cracking in the threshold, natural stones when thin like that are very fragile, our guys have even broke them pushing them into place. Not something you want to happen to a custom piece it's probably costing you a fortune for a little piece!
dochorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring , saddle , threshold