Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #1

Share |

Granite & Ceramic floor tile stain

Hi Guys,
In a bit of situation here. Just got to a site of ours and noticed that litterally the guys called in to help spray the wooden works, paint job and bricklaying job has stained ALL tiles in the house, which comprises of granite and ceramic floor tiles.
Looking at the floor, its in a really bad state. Bricks and all other stuff has been been dragged all over the floor, that its all dusty and full of sand, stained with gloss and brown wooden spray and most of all paint of different colours. It apppears the guys called in to do the jobs were not proessisonals.
Now, I'm looking to clean the floor on my own, but litterally dont know where to begin. These tiles are usually shiny, light reflective, they all have shiny finish. Please, how do I retun them to their former glory?
I was told to use acid, but figured this is not advisable for cleaning both ceramic and granite floor tiles. Pllease, all comments appreciated.

If a picture is required, I'd post some. Thanks in advance.

newbiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
DIY staff

The ceramic should clean up fine--it's glazed and the paint and stain is on the surface --not soaked into the material--start with hot soapy water---and work your way up to harsher chemicals if needed--

Xylene (goof off) should get the difficult spots--No acid---that will dissolve the grout--

As to the natural stone---you may be out some money there---Hot soapy water is about as strong as you can go without driving the stains deep into the stone or dissolving the face/glaze--

Some granites are a bit more forgiving---experiment---

I actually sanded some honed travertine once---but there was no shine--so that save worked.

There are mobile polishing companies out there--they could clean and repolish the natural stone--
Very pricey--very--

You learned an expensive lesson there--That flooring should have been protected by the contractor--then additionally protected by the painters---and then checked again by the contractor--

How did you miss that step??

Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

That's the first thing to do on a job, protect the floors. We often times go so far as to lay OSB down to prevent damage if there's something like chimmney building or repair going on.
Lay used carpeting down up side down, far easyer to prevent it then try and fix it after.
Why are you having to clean it where there the ones that messed it up?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #4

Ah, really appreciate your reply.
Well, it got to this state because my advice was ignored. I am here in Nigeria for a visit and it just happened to coincide with the time they intend on doing the flooring. Was present when they bought the tiles and I must say, they were really sparkling. When I learns that some work was going to be done after the flooring, I made mention of the flooring protection. But it seem the took the word of the painters, bricklayers and carpenters, because apparently, the painters assured them that the paint would be easily removed that its not a problem, the carpenters said the same thing, adding that the use of thinners would remove the sprays and the bricklayer and others stating that the stones won't scratch at all. Nobody really listened to me. They workers didn't have any idea on how to protect the floor. I myself didn't know what to use (lay down on the floor). Was thinking thick blankets, but didn't have enough to cover the whole flooring of the house.
Now yesterday, since they've listened to me on the use of acid, we resulted in using soap and water to at least get all the debries and stone off the floor. Some paint stains and cement were still there, loads of it infact. That one has to exert some pressure to get it all off. Using the hot water idea you told me of and it is making things easier at least. But before I could start, someone already started using petrol (gasoline) to clean the paint stain off. If this is a good idea, don't know for sure.
So, with every where dry now, it is clear that the granite has been scratched severely. It's now dull in most areas and if one looks closely, can see the scratches. Makes me feel bad, that I should have been more forceful with the floor protection.
My question now is, if I call the mobile floor cleaners and polishers, like you have suggested (hopefully they would be professionals, part of the problem faced here. Skill shortages and the know-hows). Would this help with the "dullness", reduce the effect the scratches has on the tiles? Better still, cover the scratches up?

Thanks once again in advance. All comments appreciated and welcomed
Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

Ah cheers for your comment joecaption.
You are right. Never thought about the use of carpet, turned upside down. Should have been on here before hand.
As to why I'm cleaning it: well it definitely won't be just me just doing the cleaning. It would be everybody, I'd make sure of it. They're my family, so its kinda my house too, that's why. And every time I look at the floor now, I get furious I could have tried harder (although wasn't around most of the time). So now, trying to find a solution, since I'm around now.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
DIY staff

The polishers can make a 100 year old hotel lobby look like new----

This is a specialty craft and requires some very expensive equipment---

Look for Terrazzo floor installers--they should be able to help---

Is the house in the U.S. ?

I'd love to hear about Nigeria,some time-- but let's fix your floors first---
Old 12-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #7

Ah, good to know.
Yes, the house is in Nigeria and I'm finding it quite difficult to find polishers (no yellow pages/directory books here). But like you suggested, I'd have a word with guys that install terrazzo floors or inquire from the company that sold them the granite tiles. I do hope I find a company that have the equipment you spoke of, because all the advice I've been getting from so called "professionals" in Nigeria here have all been bad/wrong advice, e.gm making use of acid etc
Please, feel free, whenever, to ask about Nigeria. I visit every now and then.

So, guess my only option now is to use the service of these polishers
Out of curiosity, can one apply these tile polish by hand or it has to be done using these equipments you made mention of?

Last edited by newbiee; 12-09-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
DIY staff

I've never actually had a job where that was needed so I only know from trade talk--

The work could be done by hand---machines are a 20th century invention and stone has been polished for hundreds of years--Mike---

.................................................. ...............................................
--I have seen the fine cast bronze statues and jewelry made in Nigeria---The goods were being brought out of Cameroon at the time because Nigeria was unsafe to do business in the port cities.

Has the government gotten better in the last 20 years? Beautiful country and nice people--The ones I met ,anyway . But the police were as bad as they could get at that time---

---Mike----
Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #9

Apologies for the late reply. Internet issues.
Update on the floor....
I've kinda stuck to using "thinner" to remove the paint and stains, they seem to be working good, since they contain organic solvents (just hope they aren't too harsh on the tiles, both ceramic n granite). After which I now clean with hot water. Thanks guys for your replies. Pls keep them coming is there's more.

About Nigeria,
Ooh boy, the government has gotten worse 2bh. I mean, when u ask an average citizen here now, they'd tell you it was way better back in the day. Maybe there are few things that has improved, but can't really think of any to be honest. I guess maybe, since there is a boom in communication systems (GSM, internet etc), maybe this could be regarded as an improvement, aside this, everything is rotttened up. Notthing works. Some Nigerians reading this might think this comment is mean and unfair (un-patriotic), but why lie, when people, loads of people struggle to eat and the politicians and people in power are just robbing people in broad daylight and nothing is been done. Its just really messed up and stressful to be honest. The people are good and bad, guess that's with most places if not everywhere, in a way, they seem to hate each other more or like/respect foreigners more than themselves. And anybody/politicians who tries to do good, would be sidelined ASAP. It's just worse now to say the truth.
With regards to the police...lool!...nothing to say about them to be honest lol! They aren't police at all! Collecting bribe openly is a norm now, police running away at the sight of trouble etc, reminding you "eh, I'm only human etc". Nah, they aren't police, heck all the enforcement arm of the government are all corrupt (maybe except the soldiers/army, maybe).
About the casts, jewellery etc, you'd see a lot of arts in Nigeria, amazing beautiful stuff, definitely.
But yh, hopefully I answered all your questions. And cheers for your advice on the tiles. More are welcomed, if any
Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #10
DIY staff

Sorry to hear the government is still rotten----I figured as much---Mexico is in the same situation now.

The corruption starts at the bottom and goes all the way to the top---Only a major revolution could clean up a mess like that.

As to the tile work---good luck and let us know how it works out.---Mike---