Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #1

Share |

Is it a good idea to install Laminate by ourselves?

Looked at the instructions of installing laminate floor, does not look hard at all. But I can imagine there will be minor details that can kill the project. Any suggestions? Should I get professional installers?

diy1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

If you have the tools go for it.
Going to need a compound mitre saw, jig saw, tapping block, flat bar, dead blow hammer (do not use a black rubber mallet it leaves black marks on the floor, jamb saw, Z bar.
Just take the time to read all the directions and make sure the floor is sutable for laminite.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you have the tools go for it.
Going to need a compound mitre saw, jig saw, tapping block, flat bar, dead blow hammer (do not use a black rubber mallet it leaves black marks on the floor, jamb saw, Z bar.
Just take the time to read all the directions and make sure the floor is sutable for laminite.
diy1618,

joecaption's suggestions are correct. Additionally, you may find this ****embedded links are not allowed by newbies, and rarely by regular members, please stop****success checklist[/URL] beneficial. Depending on the locking method used,****embedded links are not allowed by newbies, and rarely by regular members, please stop**** this video animation[/URL] could also benefit you. It is very informative.

Best,
onflooring
onflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onflooring For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #4

I did my bedroom floor. wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Just take your time. Make sure you have all the tools and you'll be fine.
shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunam For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5

Is the baseboard required to touch the laminate? I don't want to replace the baseboard, so there might be some gap between the baseboard and the top edge of the laminate. I can use a quarter round shaped wood to put on the junction of the baseboard and the laminate, is it a good idea or it will have problem in the future?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy1618 View Post
Is the baseboard required to touch the laminate? I don't want to replace the baseboard, so there might be some gap between the baseboard and the top edge of the laminate. I can use a quarter round shaped wood to put on the junction of the baseboard and the laminate, is it a good idea or it will have problem in the future?
diy1618,

Nothing should ever touch the perimeter of the flooring. As long as you keep the minimum expansion gap between the perimeter of the laminate floor and the wall base, then adding a quarter round on top of the wall base is fine.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onflooring View Post
diy1618,

Nothing should ever touch the perimeter of the flooring. As long as you keep the minimum expansion gap between the perimeter of the laminate floor and the wall base, then adding a quarter round on top of the wall base is fine.
Does that mean neither the baseboard nor the quarter round should touch the laminate edge top? I know we need to leave gap between wall and laminate edge.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Does that mean neither the baseboard nor the quarter round should touch the laminate edge top? I know we need to leave gap between wall and laminate edge.
diy1618,

If you are leaving the baseboard in place, the laminate should have an expansion gap between its edge and the baseboard. The quarter round can be blind nailed onto the baseboard and can rest on top of the laminate floor. Here is a****embedded links are not allowed by newbies, and rarely by regular members, please stop****page describing the transition moldings[/URL] and the usage.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #9

Your better off taking baseboard off and leaving 1/4" expansion gap for perimeter. You will notice the entire floor will move on you before you know it.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
It can touch, just so long as it doesn't lock the flooring down. If it's a hair above and you don't want to monkey with it, that's fine (although it might make installing the flooring more difficult being in the way and all).

What I like to do is remove the baseboard, refinish it, then install it last to cover the perimeter gaps.

The hardest part of installing laminate is getting it to lock together and undercutting vertical trim (such as door casings).

Base molding is really easy to pry off (just be patient and gentle) and you can make it look like new on a bench at your leisure. I have a lot of paint-grade ranch molding in my house. Removing it, sanding it down, and applying a fresh coat of white Duration to it really makes it look nice.

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zakany For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (09-28-2012)