Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

glueless Vinyl product

Hi, I am new here. Have you heard of this product or used it before? http://vinylflooring.org/?gad=CNmRwq...it2JD-AyC_hMcJ They sell glueless vinyl products that are made of fiberglass along with other material.

The reason I am considering this is I have two layers of sheet vinyl in my kitchen. I had it tested and for sure it contrains asbestos. I do not want to remove them for health and cost reasons.

Since I am replacing everything in my kitchen, I would like a new floor but my choices are limited since I do not want to remove the existing vinyl. I could lay a 1/4 inch birch plywood as my underlayment and lay another sheet vinyl, but this will raise my floor too high.

This particular product (they have a 12 minute movie on their website) looks like what I can use: they can lay on top of 2 layers of vinyl; no glue is needed if the area is less than 25 squre yards; price is quite reasonable.

The only problem is I can not actually see in real life. I did order a sample from them, but I think it is just a very small piece.

Has anyone used this product and can provide some feedback of how you feel about it?

NoviceDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

glueless Vinyl product

This is the next big thing for vinyl.
So far it has worked great. And installers like it because it's dang near immpossible to tear.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

glueless Vinyl product

We sell something like this at the Home Depot made by Armstrong and personally, I hate it.

It's a good DIY product for small areas with low traffic and that's about it.

Biggest complaint I've run into is having to re-lay the floor. Use and tempeture changes will cause it to come loose and need to be re-laid and re-attached every six to twelve months. Also, the vinyl isn't any more durrable than a standard 10 yr warrenty vinyl from any other company.

Keep in mind I've only worked w/ one brand of product. Others may be much better to work with in the long run.
Ash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

glueless Vinyl product

Yes, there are many other qualities in this type of floor now.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #5

glueless Vinyl product

Pushed by the contractor, I went ahead and had my large kitchen done with a high quality glueless vinyl. At first, it looked wonderful. Then the vinyl started waving in one area, then in another area. Every day I seem to discover another problem. My old standard vinyl had lasted twenty years without the least bit of problem. On the other hand, this glueless vinyl started acting up only a few months after the installation by a respected local man who has done this type of work for years. So, you have been warned, DON'T BUY THIS TYPE OF VINYL!
Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

glueless Vinyl product

The problem is that everyone wants to install it as a loose lay. Install it with the correct adhesive full spread and most of these problems never appear. Flexitec's calls for rolling the glue on with a paint roller. There isn't anything difficult at all about it. We only loose lay this stuff in very specific circumstances.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

glueless Vinyl product

Most of the loose-lay problems are caused by improper installation.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

glueless Vinyl product

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Most of the loose-lay problems are caused by improper installation.
Also true. I've heard of plenty of buckling issues and usually no double faced tape was used in areas where it should have been, such as under the refrigerator.

poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote