Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Angry

Glueless floating floor...HELP!--before I lose my mind!!!!

Ok, we are TRYING to install this freaking "glue free" floating wood laminate floor. We have not got the first two rows layed! Everytime we try to "tap" the first board on the second row then boards on the first row start to come apart. Then when we go to "dip and click" the planks together they make a mild V instead of laying flat. Then when we try to tap it in to make it flat it joins in some spots and not in others. I'm ready to scream! I'd rather take a BEATING then deal with this mess again tomorrow. PLEASE help me!!!!! PLEASE!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !!!

houseguttinghell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Sorry the pictures not great but it's the only one I could find that showed what I wanted to show. Anyway, which side (of the picture) is your "first" row, and which is your "second" row?

If the left side is your "first" row, meaning, if you're trying to snap the right side into the left side, it won't work. It's been a while since I've done one so I don't know what the instructions say...and I'm a firm believer in following manufacturer inst., but at the end it won't matter which way you snap it and I've found that trying to get the long bottom leg (on the right side) to "snap" past the subfloor (under the left side tab) is almost impossible.

I would suggest raising the left side slightly, push it in ALL the way, then push down. It should go in like that.

I would also suggest (or at least this is what worked for me) putting an entire linear row together first, making sure to line up the tabs on the long sides very carefully, then snap the entire thing in place. (assuming of course you have the totally non-glue kind, where the ends snap together as well as the long sides. (obviously if your floor is really long, this won't work...I've done it this way for up to about 15 feet, with a couple helpers, with no problems)
Attached Images

Last edited by jproffer; 04-07-2007 at 12:55 AM.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #3

great post proffer....

I am wondering what lam they have exactly.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Yea I was hoping it was at least similar to the picture. After (I dunno how many) pages of images, that one was the least of several (possibly several hundred) evils.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

FWIW - I feel bad for the poster....

Hopefully they will be able to apply the suggestions and get the hang of installing the flooring..

....and then.....maybe be able to....change their forum name...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Diesel Fitter

cut the tounge and shim the first plank at every stud W/ hardwood or hard plastic shims your first course may be racking.
use the slight up angle and beat them in W/a vaughan specialty hammer using the rubber side and good luck
Sorry carefully tap the next course in (beat and hammer may have not been the best words to use)

Last edited by mikemy6; 04-11-2007 at 07:09 PM.
mikemy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #7

Do you have the intallation kit? Should have a rubber rectangal for locking onto the tongue and tapping it in(use small rubber mallet)..Also are you staggering your seams? Proffer has the best plan lock it linear first then lock the sides....If you purchased the flooring from Lowes it's the swift lock(headache) lift up the piece you are locking in about 15 degree angle hold it then tap it before you push it down for the final lock..Also make sure you have the plastic shims

RPB Construction is offline   Reply With Quote