Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Glue on Wood Flooring repair estimates and concerns

Hello all, I am here to ask what may be a vague question to some of you, and hopefully I can find a solution. Firstly, my situation..

I am attempting to move into a room next to me in the house I am renting under the owner(who also lives here himself), and in order to accomplish this move, I must fix damages made the hardwood flooring by my bed frame(it was missing two wheels and grinded into the floor, leaving deep gaps and scratches). The hardwood flooring is either glue on or snap down planks, can't tell without pulling it up really. I have assessed that I will need to replace 4 of the boards, and can reuse the rest, seeing as how they are not damaged at all.

The working area is 5'5"x5'5", give or take an inch. While I assume the flooring up to this point will need to be pulled up to get to the damaged boards, as I am not a professional in any regard, I also wonder if the whole floor or otherwise will need to be pulled up or affected in any way to repair the damage.

My other question is not much of a concern, but considering installation costs, pulling and laying the floor, removing/reinstalling the base boards/trim, how much would a job like this cost(materials aside, as I will be paying for that myself). I know this can vary between contractors greatly, but I guess I am looking for more of a ballpark figure.

This is something that needs done quickly, as time is valuable in my current situation, so any and all answers/opinions/replies are equally valuable to me. I thank you all in advance for your help.

rjcook1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #2

Here is a picture of the area too(with damages circled). Again, 5'5"x5'5" give or take an inch. Thanks guys.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Remove a heating register and see what the floor is made of and if it is 'floating' of glued.

Do you have any of the flooring? Can you get more? Is it real wood that could be sanded and refinished?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcook1985 View Post
Hello all, I am here to ask what may be a vague question to some of you, and hopefully I can find a solution. Firstly, my situation..

I am attempting to move into a room next to me in the house I am renting under the owner(who also lives here himself), and in order to accomplish this move, I must fix damages made the hardwood flooring by my bed frame(it was missing two wheels and grinded into the floor, leaving deep gaps and scratches). The hardwood flooring is either glue on or snap down planks, can't tell without pulling it up really. I have assessed that I will need to replace 4 of the boards, and can reuse the rest, seeing as how they are not damaged at all.

what was going on that cause the bed to grind into the floor like that?
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

@oh'mike

Unfortunately, our vents are out of the ceiling so there are no vents that come from the floor. I will be asking the home owner tomorrow which floor was used so that I can purchase it. He gave me an earlier estimate of $30 for 10 planks. He got it from Lowes I believe, so I can probably go through them.

@mustangmike

2 wheels on the frame came detached and the brackets dug into it over time.