Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Share |

Glue/screw/nail hardboard to concrete

I am looking for advice on the best option to attach tempered 1/4" or 1/8" hardboard to a concrete floor. The total surface is approximately 150 sq ft.. The concrete was laid over 50 years ago (The building is an old paint factory) and this is the very dry southwest, so moisture isn't a huge problem. But it still might wick some amount of water.

I was originally going to lay a moisture barrier plastic sheet down on the concrete and then countersink concrete screws from the hardboard, through the plastic, into the concrete. Maybe 20 or so screws per 4'x8' hardboard sheet.

I am now thinking it might be easier to use a polyurethane glue with moisture vapor characteristics on the hardboard and glue it to the concrete. The floor is old and infused with generations of grease and paint. I plan to rough it up first with a concrete grinder.

Another option would be a .22 nail gun, but that seems the least practical and most likely to leave an uneven hardboard surface once painted.

Any ideas on which technique would be better/stronger/easier and have the least chance of buckling would be enormously helpful. I am fairly handy at all manner of building, but this is new ground for me and there doesn't seem to be a lot of available advice for this topic.

Kevinfff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

When you say hardboard, to what exactly are you referring? Are you talking about cement board, such as is used as a base for tile?

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

What will the finished floor be?
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAcresRod View Post
When you say hardboard, to what exactly are you referring? Are you talking about cement board, such as is used as a base for tile?
By "tempered hardboard" I am referring to tempered high density fiber board, which is typically colloquially referred to as "tempered hardboard."
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

I thought as much, but couldn't imagine why one would want to use such a material for flooring, or as a base for other flooring, since it is not intended to be used in such a manner.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoyalAcresRod For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-28-2013), oh'mike (08-25-2013), rusty baker (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

I assume you are talking about something like "Masonite". It was used as a vinyl underlayment many years ago, but was a bad idea then and a worse one now.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

No form or variation or unpressured treated wood should ever be applied directly to concrete.
Why would you want to do it that way?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

I am using hardboard as it is the best option for the sweep of a cyclorama wall (although some would argue Lauan is better.) If you know something that works better, I (and photo studios everywhere) would like to hear it. As the option of buildiong a floating sub-floor was not available in this case, affixing the sweep of the cyclorama directly to the concrete was the only obvious solution.

Fortunately I found a professional contractors forum that was considerably more helpful than this, and the hardboard has been successfully and (thus far) flawlessly affixed to the concrete floor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevinfff For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
DIY staff

It would have been nice to know the purpose before you asked the question.

That is a very unusual project ---as a general rule affixing a wood product to a slab is bad news---so the flaming should have been expected.

Sorry that we missed out on what sounds like a very creative project---I'm glad you had success----Mike---------
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #10

Kevin, folks were trying to protect you. I little more info would've been helpful.

Often people come along with bad ideas...but don't know it.

But I suspect you knew the answers you'd get, and chose to not disclose all the info you had.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyalAcresRod For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Tileguy

Kevinfff,

You sarcastically said;

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfff
Fortunately I found a professional contractors forum that was considerably more helpful than this
What that means is that you found someone who told you what you wanted to hear.

Hardboard, tempered Masonite, luaun etc. are terrible products to use as a base, and much worse when used on concrete. It might work though, all depends how it was fastened and if you left enough expansion space. Most of the time this type of product will buckle within a few years.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

You are so right, Jaz. Some posters don't want professional advice, they just want someone to agree that doing it wrong will work.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

I just should've just ignored him after his crappily condescending, sarcastic and rude second post.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyalAcresRod For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
DIY staff

I have to bite my tongue----I'm curious what contractor forum was helpful--those sites usually beat up a newbie unmercifully---
Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I have to bite my tongue----I'm curious what contractor forum was helpful--those sites usually beat up a newbie unmercifully---
Well it wasn't contractor talk, at least it wasn't the flooring forum. Those guys would have chewed him up and spit out the pieces.