Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #1

Share |

glue and laminate flooring

I am installing laminate flooring and had mentioned to me about using glue in the snap lock joints.
Is this a good idea?
rrekih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
STAFF

If I had to do my floor again the joints would for sure be glued.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

This is generally done in areas with higher moisture to avoid any water from getting in the joint. You can do it on all joints and the floor will be less likely to have any squeaks. It does take a lot longer to install and it's harder to replace a board if you happen to damage one.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
STAFF

I don't know if glue would help for moisture or not but it will keep the pieces from coming apart. We had a piece slide out of place in our hall from our grandsons stopping fast while running and had to glue it, it don't slide out now.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Hi
We just bought golden select laminate at Costco and installed it in the living room yesterday. Well last night some water and wallpaper stripper ( i na stray bottle that fell and the top popped off) fell and was cleaned up instantly. I guess my stepdad missed it in the groves because it caused the laminate to raise along the grooves. Thankfully we have not finished installing it but we will have to replace about 8 boards.
I tried soaking scrap pieces in just plain water after this to make sure we wouldn't get the same result and you couldn't tell if wiped right away you could tell after soaking in for a few hours a little but but nothing like it did with the wallpaper stripper.

My question is if we glue every tongue and grove do you think it will fair better with water just in case. We have dogs who sometimes can't hold it in the night and have accidents and anything to prevent it form bubbling would be great. We would hate to spend all this time and money and only have it bubble later. I'm not really worried about replacing planks later as the stuff is really tough for scratches and for dropping things on it. Was just hoping glue might make it more water resistant. Or is there anything else to make it more water resistant?
Thanks
Lauralai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
My question is if we glue every tongue and grove do you think it will fair better with water just in case.
Nope !
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
Floor Doc (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Nope !
What is the point of it then? I mean some manufactures say to use it in the kitchen and bathroom. Would that mean it has some type of water resistance?
Lauralai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

I don't know of any manufacturer that has a water resistant product. Wilsonart use to but, they no longer make laminate. If you use glue, use a glue like Tite Bond ll or Tite Bond lll. They are water proof glues. Do not add to much glue. The moisture can cause the joint to swell and may not go back. This was common on the old glue together laminates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote