Glue Down Carpet Removal Prior To Platon - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

glue down carpet removal prior to platon

I'm getting ready to lay down platon underlayment, xps foam panel and osb or plywood in my basement. The previous owner had very cheap indoor/outdoor carpet heavily glued straight to the slab. After plenty of struggling and patients I removed the carpet...but there are tons of spots where leftover fibers are still adhered to the concrete.

Here is my question...do I have to remove it all? I've tried a couple methods and it would take an excessive amount of time to completely remove it all. I know you do not want any organic material stuck underneath the platon...but wouldn't this leftover carpet be all synthetic fibers? Is it ok to just cover it up as is?

One other question I haven't been able to find an answer for anywhere...if I'm not doing the entire basement, should I be taping/sealing up the platon where I stop? (which will not be at a wall) Same question for the floor drain...cut around the drain and tape/seal the platon to the floor?

Please let me know if theres something I missed.
Thanks for reading and I look forward being a part of the site!
Attached Thumbnails
glue down carpet removal prior to platon-img_20161006_202436247.jpg   glue down carpet removal prior to platon-img_20161006_211429906.jpg  

Advertisement

chester_d13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 148

Re: glue down carpet removal prior to platon

Just leave it. When the platon fails, which it will, you can clean it then.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,740

Yes you have to remove it all, instructions state all debris needs to be removed before installation.

Don't know what your trying to achieve here, but why not direct your questions to the Mfg.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

The platon system is a failure waiting to happen, anyway.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
The platon system is a failure waiting to happen, anyway.
If you have first hand information, or a link to a site providing their failure rate, would you be willing to share it, as it would benifit everyone.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
If you have first hand information, or a link to a site providing their failure rate, would you be willing to share it, as it would benifit everyone.
I have torn up dozens of those floors. They all mold. I have never seen one last more than five years.
Of course, I only started installing in 1973, what do I know.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

For those interested - after trying a few different methods, klean strip adhesive remover is doing the trick... though still relatively slow.

Good call, I will contact the manufacturer about sealing edges as the instructions don't address this. I could see both ways making sense for different reasons. Thanks.

Are you able to provide and opinion on a solution rather than using a membrane underlayment? Do you feel like straight XPS is better? I've read/heard countless opinions/experiences on both sides of the argument. Seems that's there's no agreed upon method.

Last edited by chester_d13; 10-11-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester_d13 View Post
For those interested - after trying a few different methods, klean strip adhesive remover is doing the trick... though still relatively slow.

Good call, I will contact the manufacturer about sealing edges as the instructions don't address this. I could see both ways making sense for different reasons. Thanks.

Are you able to provide and opinion on a solution rather than using a membrane underlayment? Do you feel like straight XPS is better? I've read/heard countless opinions/experiences on both sides of the argument. Seems that's there's no agreed upon method.

Your using a razor scraper right, usually comes up pretty good with one of those.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

Yes using a scraper. I'll have to use some sort of abrasive for the imperfections and dips in the concrete. A wire cup brush seems to work .

Advertisement

Tags
basement , floor , platon