Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Girl here trying to lay a Bathroom floor HELP!

I have an old 50's floor. It's solid and is the only floor. It is made of small rectangular tiles and is grouted. No tiles are loose, it's solid.

QUESTION#1:
Can I install mesh tile over this existing tile? I would put a thin layer of thinset and then put mesh tile over that. I guess I would cut it where I need to with a utility knife.

QUESTION#2
When custom fitting mesh, what happens if i would have to cut a piece of tile? Do I just cut it at the mesh part, then fill in the space with extra grout?

I have to make this an easy job for myself , to hold me over until we can get it all redone one day...... Any help is appreciated.

Any help apprec!

**ALSO WHERE can I buy (for another project) 3x3 soft blue (not bathroom blue) tiles for my kitchen backsplash?? Thanks

2 threads on same issue merged

applepiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepiegirl View Post
I have to make this an easy job for myself , to hold me over until we can get it all redone one day...... Any help is appreciated.

Any help apprec!
If it were ME, and I had a solid floor with no cracks, AND I knew I'd be pulling it out to do another renovation at a later time..... I'd leave the floor alone and focus on other areas of the bathroom in order to "freshen it up" a little bit.

I would recommend a large decorative bath mat that matches your theme, a fresh coat of paint, and maybe new fixtures to get you through.

Doing a "quick and dirty" floor change over an existing floor is probably going to make you even less happy with your bathroom in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

First of all, I assume the tile you want to use is a small tile mounted on a mesh backing. How big are the tiles?

Question #1. I have heard of people installing one layer of tile over another, but it is not recommended. And yes, you can just cut the mesh with a utility knife.

Question #2. The best way is to actually cut the tile. Leaving spaces filled with grout will look tacky. There are tools you can buy, saws you can buy or rent, more than one way to do this. How big are your tiles?

Quote:
I agree with moondawg. Wait until you renovate and do it right. What you want to do is not only NOT a cheap and easy temporary fix (its not cheap and its not easy) if you do it right it will add a new level of difficulty when you do pull everything out.

As far as your search for 3x3 blue tiles, if you are looking for pieces to repair an existing backsplash, it is rare to find an identical match.
Google is your best friend here.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
DIY staff

Apple, You can tile over tile.---Like blondsence mentioned--It is not ideal--However--the 1950's
Mudset tile floor should be a good candidate for a tile over job.

First the floor must be clean--use hot soapy water with some ammonia and a scrub pad.

The thinset should be an unmodified mixed with a liquid latex additive..
Kerabond and Keralastic is a quality brand.

You can cut the tiles with a small wet saw--nippers will also work----Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

You may have already considered this, but just in case you haven't: Have you thought about the added height? How is it going to look where this floor adjoins another floor. Will it be a trip hazard? If there are any doors that swing into the area, will the bottoms clear the additional tile? If there is an exterior door involved dealing with the threshold could turn into another big project.

I'm really not trying to talk you out of this, but I don't want you to find any unplanned headaches half way through your project.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Apple, You can tile over tile.---Like blondsence mentioned--It is not ideal--However--the 1950's
Mudset tile floor should be a good candidate for a tile over job.
I have the same question, except my bathroom floor is 70's small tile, very solid, and I'm putting down large travertine marble. And I want this remodel to last a long, long time.

Other than height adjustment for doors, etc., what are the other down sides of not ripping up the existing floor?

On the vanity I have formica. Can I tile over that?

Thanks for your help, I love this site!
Dianebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Is this on wood or a slab? If wood, are you sure it can handle all the extra weight?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

Actually after I posted I went to see how easily the tile came up and it was very easy! All gone! and I found some very wet plywood where I took the toilet out. Oh boy, I suppose it's better to find it now than when the toilet falls into the kitchen below!

Any advise on the formica? Will thin set stick to it?
Dianebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianebc View Post

----------------------------------------------------
You're best bet would be to score the formica with a utility knife first. But IMO would be best and really not too difficult to pull the formica and replace with plywood and tile backerboard then tile. You're probably going to pull the sink anyhow?
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

thanks to you all for your answers!!!
applepiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
floor_whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaroncarpet

get a cheap angle grinder to make your mesh cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianebc View Post
Actually after I posted I went to see how easily the tile came up and it was very easy! All gone! and I found some very wet plywood where I took the toilet out. Oh boy, I suppose it's better to find it now than when the toilet falls into the kitchen below!

better replace the plywood....joist cuts

Aaroncarpet is offline   Reply With Quote