DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Getting Fleeced on the Install?

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  patented 
#1 ·
Hi All-
Just wondering if anyone here has ever had to float their concrete floor with putty as prework to laying click and lock laminates? Apparantly it's to even the concrete?

We have ruled out installing the flooring ourselves and decided to take up one of the big home improvement co's up on their seemingly incredible installation price. After we payed 35 bucks to have our measurment done, we get a quote that is practically twice the original pricing.

Can anyone validate this extra step in the process? I have never heard of it.

Thank in advance!

#6 ·
I would never recommend buying installed flooring from a big box store. But in all fairness we do not have any information that tells me the work was not necessary. We don't know anything about it. People often forget or don't think of how important preparation is. And the store has no idea what needs to be done until they come and see the job.

Get another quote from a real contractor as mentioned.

Jaz

Reactions: BigJim
#2 ·
I tried them for an estimate just to compare prices. Their 50%? off deals are more expensive than a local contractor. One of the product used to level a concrete floor is Top and Bond. If I recall it goes on is 1/8" or 1/4" layers and you can resurface a whole floor if needed. Check your local flooring supplier for a list of local contractors.

#4 ·
that's called the bait and switch

give you a great deal on the install

then come out and sell you more work (whether it's needed or not)

to make up for the money they

aren't making on the job to start with.

but in all fairness your floor might need to be smoothed out, i can't see it from here but it shouldn't cost double to do it.

i would get at least 2 more estimates

#5 ·
Should have gone to a real flooring company where that's all they do.
All the box store is going to do is hire outside contractors to do the work.

#7 ·
It might be best to check with the flooring manufacturer to see what they recommend for levelness of the floor. I'm thinking it something like 1/4” over 6'. It might be time to get on your hands and knees with a 6' level and see how flat the is.

If you find that the floor is not very level then why not level it out before you call and get other estimates.

#8 · (Edited)
+1 check with the manufacturer of the flooring you'll be using for specifications on the subfloor condition. I think 1950house is in the ballpark, though most are less forgiving if I recall (you definitely don't want your laminate floor deflecting as you walk).

Also not sure on the what is included in the "original pricing", the materials and installation, or just the installation? If you were buying your flooring separately and just quoting the installation then I suppose it's possible to double the install only price if the floor needs to be modified to allow for proper installation.

It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but laminate flooring is extremely easy to install. Why not do it yourself (this is the DIY forum after all)?
I'm all for hiring things out when necessary, but IME if you're concerned about the additional cost then you'll feel less satisfied with the end result. I think you'll feel much more satisfied going the DIY route, spending less, and still getting the floor that you want...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.