Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

Getting the center tile squared up to start.

Hello, I'm trying my first tiling job and I have my area that I want tile marked off. I have marked the center of where I am going to start tiling. I laid the tile down just to get an Idea of what it will look like. its only a 4x5 area, so not too big. But when I laid it all down it was not square with my markings. I'm pretty sure that my markings are square. Have messured numerous times.

The issue I think I have is when I put the first piece down, what is the best way to make sure that piece is square? cuz if thats off then everything is off, I think that is happening with mine.

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #2

If it is a square room 4x5. Snap a line from corner to corner (diagonally). Do the same from the other corner. Now you've made an X . There is your perfect center, now have at it !

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment, I have found the center, but when i lay the first tile down, how do I know that I laid that tile to be square?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

The X on the floor does 2 things. 1. Finds center of the room your working in. 2. It gives you the square of the room. .. If you line the 4 corners of your tile on the X , you're ready to rock and roll. Good luck !
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

Gotchya...I was just finding the center and not using the X.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Tileguy

How did that X in the middle of the floor method work for you? Not so good I bet. Why would I want to start in the middle? Why have cuts on all 4 walls? That is not the right way.

What size are the tiles? Loose lay two tiles with grout space, measure the distance of two tiles and 2 grout lines. Is the room 48" x 60", how about the doorway? Are you tiling into the doorway or using a marble threshold there?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #7

The guy said he already knew where he wanted to put his tile. The method I told him was the easiest way I can tell a DIYer to find square of a room.. Never told him to start there . Come to think of it though, with a 4x5 room and 12'' tile the cuts should work on the other side.. eeks.. Do you think he really started it there?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #8

The area I am doing is an entry way of a door. So there will only be two walls. The wall with the door, and the wall to the left(if you were coming into the house through the door) I am planning to leave the other two sides un cut tiles of 12x12. So my plan is to have cut tiles of where the walls are. I was told to do it this way so I can cut the tiles to better fit up to the wall incase the walls are not straight.

Anyone see any issues with this way? Never done tiling before.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #9

I think all Jazman was saying is that you have a size room where you could possibly have NO cuts, which for a DIYer would make it a little simple. But with what you are saying there is absolutely no issues. You can lay tile any pattern, direction, with cuts wherever you can dream! There is no wrong, or right. You are the homeowner, the layout of the tile is entirely up to you. I was just giving you a tip how to find square of the area you were working in. Good luck, any other questions don't hesitate.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

All of this is predicated on the adjacent walls being square to each other. Have you verified that this is the case?
Remove the baseboards and place a known square (framing square, sheet of ply, even a tile) object in the corner and make sure.
If that corner is not 90 degrees, all your measurements being equal will give you a parallelogram instead.

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote