Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

getting all the glue off!!!

OK- I've started ripping the old 2 layers of linolium off the kitchen floor (one layer glued to the original layer)- Under that is 1/2 plywood subfloor over concrete slab. The top layer came off fairly easy- the original sheet is much harder with the original glue a b_____ to get off!. I've attached a pic to show what it looks like- Some areas of the plywood are clean while some still have the white glue residue from 40 years ago- Do I need to get all that old glue off?? I'm probably putting down something like Armstrong Alterna vinyl tiles which get adhered to the subfloor with new glue/mortar. It's pretty smooth even with some old glue residue but for me to scrape all of it will take forever

skinut2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

http://s686.beta.photobucket.com/use...26274277885389

Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

We don't have much information to go on, but I've never seen a reason to install plywood over concrete, ever. That's just asking for any number of problems. Again, we have nothing to go on, as in: is the concrete suspended? Is it a slab home, or basement? There isn't any reason that I can think of as to why I would install plywood over concrete before installing vinyl. Alterna can absolutely be installed directly over a properly prepared concrete using the proper adhesive and receive their full warranty. I've done it many times with great results.

Is there a reason as to why you are hesitant to remove the layers all the way back down to the original substrate? Is the plywood under the cabinets? Are there any other relevant details you can give?
RWCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

I agree RW- This was the original install 40+ years ago- This is the way the floor was when we moved in- The kitchen is above grade on a slab- They then glued/Hammered 1/2" plywood over that- then 2 layers of sheet linolium. If I were starting from scratch I would not put plywood over concrete either but this is what I am faced with- I tried to remove a small section of the plywood and it's very difficult which led to me try and go with the option of leaving it and scraping all the glue off. The other option I guess is the screw 1/4 plywood over the existing plywood to give me a clean surface. Trying to figure out what will work best with what I have to work with
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

You have 2 options and neither one is very good. Take up the plywood or install more. I would take it up.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote