Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage ---> Rec-room flooring issues...

Good day,

I have to appologize right off the start for not knowing alot about this topic, and from what I have already read in this forum, it can be a bit controversial. I have an attached garage on a grade-level concrete slab (11'x21') that I am converting to a family rec-room. It does have some slight moisture (dark areas at times), but nothing extensive. I would like to get some advice on bringing up the floor about 3 inches so that it is level with an adjoining porch, the best methods to insulate and lay a sub-floor, and good choices for the final flooring.

I was initially thinking of laying an initial 6 mil poly on the concrete, then fastening 2"x4" sleepers with a ramset (or the "tapcon" option I read about in this forum). Between the sleepers I'd install rigid styrofoam insulation, then top everything off with groove and tonge plywood and then some sorta flooring. I have also seen those "groove & tonge" 2'x2' OSB sections that have the plastic "stand-offs" used for this type of application, but not sure of their quality.

I am looking to lay down either laminite, carpet, or whatever I can make work (except for tile) for a nice warm atmosphere! I'd like to make it sorta like a bar room feeling!

Can anyone comment on this, and provide a DIY'er some recommendations on the project, what flooring is best, what to avoid, and how to do it so I don't have to tear out and redo because of bad advice from the "apron-wearers" at Home Depot!

jlatulippe is offline   Reply With Quote