Garage Floor Repair Help Needed - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage floor repair help needed

I have a concrete garage floor that is spalling. I ran aross a reference to Rustoleum Concrete Resurfacer and it sounds the easiest of a number of alternatives. Anyone ever use it, and if so, was it effective? Thanks.

Advertisement

mntentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hate to say this, but IMO nothing is 'easy' in concrete resurfacing...and I think the reason companies push the "easy" word is to offset that. I mean it sounds just like painting a wall...but it isn't.

Look, the principal is good; we do concrete resurfacing using polymer-modified concrete and we put epoxy coatings on top of that. But that's the easy part of the whole process of cleaning, etching and repairing the base because we know that our easy part is only a covering for the damage that might be going on underneath. So the hard part starts before we coat anything...

Spalling indicates a problem somewhere; if you're lucky, it's only the top layer of concrete that is coming lose because of faulty trowelling, or pouring that has given you a weak top surface. This may be removed and corrected, maybe not. On the other hand it may be an indication of something you can't see that is a continuous process you'll be swearing at in a year's time.

If your problem is the first one, then the epoxy product from Rustoleum would be one way of making it look better for a while. If it is just symptoms of another problem, then ditto. Only shorter time frame.

This is what we come up against and why we recoat the concrete and then put down the epoxy.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #3

I really think the issue is just some crumbling of the top surface due to winter time salt, etc. The crumbling is right in the spot where that would happen. I would like to try the Rustoleum, but if there is a better solution to recoating, I would consider it. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Well OK that narrows the field; I'd acid-etch a bit and rinse a lot to get rid of the salts first before putting any brand-named product down. 2-part epoxies are IMO better than the big-box one-parts. Go for it

Get back to us to let us all know how it went...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Not gonna change anything if you don't also change the habits and practices that caused the issue in the first place.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #6

Yup, Bud, I agree with you!

I stopped at the hrdware store to look at this product... and of course it said cracks and holes needed to be fixed first. I kind of thought this would take care of that, but no. There is an EpoxyShield patch kit, I see on their website, but the hardware store did not carry that. I will see if I can find it somewhere and check to see if that would work as the first step.

Advertisement