Garage Floor Covering - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Garage Floor Covering

I'm thinking of using this product to cover my new garage floor. Has anyone used it or used anything like it? Just trying to get some feed back. Thanks!
http://www.armorcladepoxy.com/index.html

Here is an other one I was looking at. It does not have a clear top coat though but is cheaper. Not that the cheapest way is the best way though.
http://www.epoxy-coat.com/catalog/

Advertisement

PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage Floor Covering

Epoxy coatings for garages are not a bad idea, but be sure to follows prep instructions carefully. If the concrete is not properly prepped, the finish will not last long. That often involves grinding the surface.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Garage Floor Covering

Wow

"You simply cannot purchase a better epoxy floor coating product. Don't waste your money on thin, watery, home center types of inexpensive floor coatings that frequently fail. Armorpoxy, the makers of Armorclad, is a 20+ year old supplier of the finest floor coatings in the world."

?

"Adaptive Molecular Technology"

?

Look, I don't want to burst your bubble - and go ahead and support that website if you like - but there not that much new under the sun when it come to epoxy floor coatings. And believe me when I say that the sun isn''t any different in Union NJ than it is in Timbuctoo than it is in China...what I'm saying is that you're not buying some revolutionary chemical marvel here, you're buying the hype that they sell. That's all.

Don't be swayed by it.

"Adaptive Molecular Technology"...? what's that? just fancy words, that's it...nothing to do with how some company in Union NJ makes atoms and molcular react in such a way that hasn't been known to the rest of the world for 50 years. At least. Give me a break.

Having said all that, I will say also that - especially on concrete - the preparation of the floor takes 75% of the time and accounts for the success or not of the epoxy you use afterwards. Do a half-job at prep, you stand no chance of getting a good look, no matter who sells you the epoxy.

You read a site like that and many gullible consumers will take the bait and buy a product because of all the complicated words. They buy a dream - supported by pictures...but that's your American way isn't it?

Take it from a guy who used to work with BASF's epoxy division...invest your time in reading how to prepare a surface to receive epoxy coatings, do that work, and forget about swallowing everything you read on a website.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Garage Floor Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Wow

"You simply cannot purchase a better epoxy floor coating product. Don't waste your money on thin, watery, home center types of inexpensive floor coatings that frequently fail. Armorpoxy, the makers of Armorclad, is a 20+ year old supplier of the finest floor coatings in the world."

?

?

Look, I don't want to burst your bubble - and go ahead and support that website if you like - but there not that much new under the sun when it come to epoxy floor coatings. And believe me when I say that the sun isn''t any different in Union NJ than it is in Timbuctoo than it is in China...what I'm saying is that you're not buying some revolutionary chemical marvel here, you're buying the hype that they sell. That's all.

Don't be swayed by it.

"Adaptive Molecular Technology"...? what's that? just fancy words, that's it...nothing to do with how some company in Union NJ makes atoms and molcular react in such a way that hasn't been known to the rest of the world for 50 years. At least. Give me a break.

Having said all that, I will say also that - especially on concrete - the preparation of the floor takes 75% of the time and accounts for the success or not of the epoxy you use afterwards. Do a half-job at prep, you stand no chance of getting a good look, no matter who sells you the epoxy.

You read a site like that and many gullible consumers will take the bait and buy a product because of all the complicated words. They buy a dream - supported by pictures...but that's your American way isn't it?

Take it from a guy who used to work with BASF's epoxy division...invest your time in reading how to prepare a surface to receive epoxy coatings, do that work, and forget about swallowing everything you read on a website.
I understand that prep is the key. Now I need a DIY kit that I can use so what would you recommend? I really don't want to go & peace different things together. Thanks!
PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Floor Covering

So what do you recommend then for epoxy for a garage floor. I am also considering ArmorClad. I'm not so concerned about fancy sayings on their website as I am just compairing products. I like the look of theirs.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Wow

?

?

Don't be swayed by it.

reddog1970 is offline   Reply With Quote