Gap At Edge Of Vinyl Planks - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Gap at Edge of Vinyl Planks

I am installing Supreme Click Elite Waterproof LVT Vinyl Planks. The flooring is a little less than 3/16 inch thick. The manufacturers instructions on the box call for "at least an 1/8 inch gap". My baseboard is a little over 3/8 inch thick. I know the recommended method is to "use spacers against the wall" to get the recommended gap from the edge of the wall. The drywall is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off of the concrete. How do I gap from the bottom plate of the wall when I cannot get to the plate because of the drywall? Yes, I could gap 1/8 from the drywall, or flush with the drywall. But, don't I need something to push the flooring against when I'm laying it down?

The first picture shows the drywall gapped above the floor and the bottom plate. The second picture shows my efforts at a spacer. However, this is 3/16 from the drywall which makes the edge of the vinyl planks about 3/4 from the plate. Yes, at this distance the baseboard will cover the edge. But, what if the floor contracts? I would end up with a gap if it contracts too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Gap at Edge of Vinyl Planks-dscn2783.jpg   Gap at Edge of Vinyl Planks-dscn2785.jpg  

Advertisement

OhioDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

I always install the baseboard then the flooring, the 1/4 rd. will more then cover it up.
When laying strip flooring I've never used a spacer, just eye balling it is good enough.
A little trick, when you get to the end of a run take the last piece and spin it around, mark then cut it. Spin it around the right way and install it. No measuring needed.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 10-11-2013 at 10:11 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
When laying strip flooring I've never used a spacer, just eye balling it is good enough.
This is laid with no adhesive. Don't I need to be able to push against something to keep the seams tight in the following rows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A little trick, when you get to the end of a run take the last piece and spin it around, mark then cut it. Spin it around the right way and install it. No measuring needed.
Great idea. So simple and so helpful! Thank you! That alone is worth the price of joining this forum. lol
Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 580

It's a little tricky untill you get the hang of laying that stuff.
I'll try and explain how I've done it, but let me ask a question first. I've not laid that brand before.
Does it have what amounts to wax paper protecting the sticky part?
With the brands I have laid I only peel that back off about 1/4 way, start on the left hand side hold the right side up off the area where it's going to go.
Work that inside corner in perfectly so it tight with no gaps in both direction.
Now slowly lower it into place gently making sure there no gap.
If one starts to show, stop and push it slowly to close the gap. Do not try and lift it back up.
Once in a while if it's not moving closer at all as your pushing you may have to use a hair dryer of heat gun to soften the glue just enough to get it moving.
Just standing on the flooring as your push should be enough to keep it from moving toward the wall.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Sorry, I should have been clear; there is no adhesive on these planks. It is strictly click together and floating.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

Bump.... Other thoughts?

Advertisement