Gap Between Hardwood Floor Planks - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Gap between hardwood floor planks

Hi, I'm just about getting done putting down my bamboo floors throughout the house. Everything looks really great. I have the floors running from room to room all over and I found it extremely tricky to meet up with the planks from one room to another. I spent a lot of time on measuring and trying to figure out how they'd meet up perfectly flush. Most of the times I had to lay out the floor without nailing it down and see if it all would be flush at the meeting point. I did a really good job everywhere (must have been a lot of luck) except for one spot in the living room where a 2 millimeter gap between a few planks was unavoidable. First of all, what is the best way to measure in order to have everything flush when planks meet up between 2 or more rooms?? Secondly, what is the best way to fill these gaps to make it look flush and unnoticeable?? Should I use a wood filler or urethane caulk? The floors are pretty dark and I'd like to get something that looks identical to the floors and that looks/dries like wood. Thanks a million in advance!!

Best,

Marcus

Advertisement

sundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Rip a few peices of flooring down to the width of the gap and glue the peices in the gap.

Advertisement

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

I would have thought there would have been a way to put that gap at a wall(under a baseboard). Not seeing your layout I won't seccond guess you.

I doubt you will be able to rip a 2mm piece of bamboo. To fill in. I reccomend either eliminating the gap, or filling with wood putty.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I just put a threshold/transition peice between my two rooms. Disn't have to worry about blending the two together.
joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Why are there gaps?
Why are the gaps "unavoidable"?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote