Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Gap between hardwood floor

Hi,

I am installing 3/8"x 3" wide hardwood floor over concrete using Elastilon.

I installed for about 20 rows and my floor starts to have more and more gap between each row. I investigated a little bit and found that many planks has 3" width on the left and it has less than 3" (can be as bad as 2 15/16) on the right.

Can you advise how to deal with this? I have many gaps now especially at the edges, are there anything I can use to fill those gaps?

Thanks a lot.

cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Try and use blue painters tape to hold the peices together until the glue sets up. There should not be any difference in size from one end to the other. I do find this sometimes but it's not to bad. If you have a lot of them then this is a defect and you need to take it back.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Far as I know , wood will naturally expend so you need to have some gaps anyway but if the gaps are to big than I'm not sure
Nika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Sounds like you are describing pinched end joints .
Manufacturing related .
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika View Post
Far as I know , wood will naturally expend so you need to have some gaps anyway but if the gaps are to big than I'm not sure
Wrong. the only gaps should be around the edges when installed.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #6

I think there are too many of bad plank but the manufacturer refuse to replace/return because it has been too long (my project got delay for many months). They also said that 10% bad is acceptable.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,926

Sorry to hear you have poor materials----Let us know the brand so we don't get stuck with junk ourselves.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreak View Post
I think there are too many of bad plank but the manufacturer refuse to replace/return because it has been too long (my project got delay for many months). They also said that 10% bad is acceptable.
I believe it is only 5% for bad boards .
Measure a 10 x 10 area and count the boards , then count the bad boards . Do the math .
I don't believe a judge would agree with them if you have a independent inspection done .
Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #9

I bought the wood from lumber liquidator. It's Bolivian Rosewood from Bellawood. I don't see much complain about it on its review, though.

I would like to make sure if the follow could be considered defect. Can you please advice?

1) Wrap boards
2) 3" board has one side or both side less than 2" 31/32 or less (many are around 2" 15/16). (this is major problem to me since I will always have noticeable gap between rows)
3) crack
4) bad tongue cut

I put those planks together and it definitely more than 10%. Compared to ones installed (which included bad ones)

Or, I am totally wrong and there is a technique to install them correctly?

Thanks,

Last edited by cfreak; 11-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,926

I've never used any of their products---but the flaws you mention sure sound like poor manufacturing and an inferior product.

I install some prefinished solid hard wood and the number of defective boards is very low.

In a manufactured product like that the only flawed product should be ones damaged in handling and packing.

Sounds like you got stuck with well advertised crap.---Mike---
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #11

I personally will NOT install anything that comes from Lumber Liquidators. Too many problems with the quality of their products.
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #12

Hire a independent Inspector .
Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreak View Post
I bought the wood from lumber liquidator. It's Bolivian Rosewood from Bellawood. I don't see much complain about it on its review, though.

I would like to make sure if the follow could be considered defect. Can you please advice?

1) Wrap boards
2) 3" board has one side or both side less than 2" 31/32 or less (many are around 2" 15/16). (this is major problem to me since I will always have noticeable gap between rows)
3) crack
4) bad tongue cut

I put those planks together and it definitely more than 10%. Compared to ones installed (which included bad ones)

Or, I am totally wrong and there is a technique to install them correctly?

Thanks,
I have had this problem with Limber Liquidators , Anything about liquidator that clues you in ? They liquidate , Cheap is their game , I own tacomahardwoodfloors.com I try to explain to people cheap and quality don't seem to work out , I don't know how to tell people they don't get a cadillac for the price of a ford pinto . SOO all things considered , I have never heard of lum liq standing behind anything ,.. SOOO what you are stuck with is an uneven milling of the wood , You bought liquidated materials , You got what you paid for ,, Now you go to the hardware store and get a LOT OF COLOR PUTTY , You can try to use a tapping block to tighten it up , but it is faulty liquidated material , I know many hardwood guys that will not install lum liq material , I have lost accounts over it , ALL their material is not bad , But you run the risk ,So iether tear it out and throw it away or color putty it and live with it , And who told you as a home owner to glue hardwood in a basement ? Maybe you will be tearing it out soon any way , Did you do a calcium chloride moisture test on the concrete floor ? if not you run the risk of the whole thing cupping any way , I think it's time to reconsider the whole job , I bet Lum liq told you you could glue haardwood to a basement floor , You can <, And if there is moisture failure will be 100% sorry to be the bringer of bad news , But Lum Liq people are not hardwood installers nor do they have any knowledge to be giving advice , I think youn signed somnething that say's that .SORRY you got caught up with those guys. Again I don;t know any other hafrdwood companies that install Lum Liq products ,
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Don't bother with an independant inspection ,
#1 unless you have a documented Calcium chloride moisture test , Which is accepted by National wood flooring association as THE acceptable METHOD for concrete floors because it measures moisture emission over time
#2 You have measured the boards and found them to be out of mill spec , And iether installed them any way , OR did not check and installed them , If you read Lum Liq paper it addresses installing a product you are to inspect
#3 If you did these two things they aren't going to help you and they don't have to
$4 Read the warranty on the product it probly say's not warranty for below grade [dirt] installation
#5 Lum liq probly told you you could but their contract won't stand behind what anyone say's and you were suppose to use a proffesional for advice
In Conclusion I would not waste your money on a independant inspection .

tacomahardwoodfloors.com

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote