Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Gap appearing, solutions?

I think it's because of the small space for the doorway and on each site is 12-15' of flooring trying to pull this little strip both ways and the kitchen side won I guess. I'm not sure taking up the floor (floating) and fixing it will help since it will probably happen again with seasonal changes and it would be a pain in the ass to do that now so I'm thinking of just using a circular saw to cut a strip down the middle of that board to remove it and then adding two small pieces with a threshold there instead. Not ideal to have a bump threshold there but better than I gap I think.

This is also happening on the other side of the wall where again there are two sides pulling on a single board but it's not as bad and there is no easy way to add a threshold there.
Attached Thumbnails
Gap appearing, solutions?-2013-12-22-08.48.34.jpg   Gap appearing, solutions?-2013-12-22-08.48.21.jpg  

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,018

Is that laminate?
There was suppose to be a transition strip at the opening.
I'm also not seeing an expansion gap along the wall in the bottom picture on the right side of the wall.
The flooring was also not run under the door jamb.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is that laminate?
There was suppose to be a transition strip at the opening.
I'm also not seeing an expansion gap along the wall in the bottom picture on the right side of the wall.
The flooring was also not run under the door jamb.
Hardwood bamboo. Why a transition, they manufacturer said one is only needed if it spans > 30'. There is expansion under the trim all around. The part missing under the door jam bugs me too which I could fix by putting a transition in too
Old 12-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #4

The product is stranded bamboo. It is very stable as for expansion and contraction. How long has the floor been installed? It does not look like it would have shrunk that much.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
The product is stranded bamboo. It is very stable as for expansion and contraction. How long has the floor been installed? It does not look like it would have shrunk that much.
five months. It was installed in the summer (80-90s) and now it's winter. Could it just be a bad piece. I did have to bad lip on another piece that did the same thing and I replaced it. Replacing this would be a pain since I'd have to rip up an entire side of the room to get to it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Hardwood bamboo. Why a transition, they manufacturer said one is only needed if it spans > 30'. There is expansion under the trim all around. The part missing under the door jam bugs me too which I could fix by putting a transition in too

That jamb needs to be undercut for that piece to slide under.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

Here is a link on "How to Replace a board".

http://hardwoodfloorsmag.com/article...id=22&zoneid=2

Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
Here is a link on "How to Replace a board".

http://hardwoodfloorsmag.com/article...id=22&zoneid=2
Thanks, I might do that. It's click so it's not nailed down but it's made to click into each other so not sure how well it will work if it's not (using the method from the link). I guess I can always try this method first and if it fails pull up the entire floor to fix it.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #9

I'm sorry. I did not know it was clik Lock. The method in my last post is only for regular tongue and grove flooring. The best way to repair this is to take the floor apart. If you feel it might do this again, you can put a bead of glue in the grove before putting them together. Keep a damp rag handy to wipe up access glue.

Last edited by woodman58; 12-23-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #10

Hey, so the gap is much wider now. I was able to fix the one in the doorway but installing a t-modling but the other side of the wall doesn't have an easy way to do that. Here's a photo, the two arrows point to the parts of the floor that have the gaps. It's noticeable not only by seeing it but you can feel it with your foot now so it's annoying/dangerous. Would installing a threshold here look odd/work? Do I have any other options? If I pull up the floor and glue these pieces (suggested by flooring company) wouldn't the gap just appear at the next weakest point?

yes there are gaps all the way around, the floor is under the molding. It's a floating floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Gap appearing, solutions?-k6rhbk3_5inkcicyaecakzqc0aaa3tetdih317-cfze.jpg