Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Share |

Front Porch Floor

Hello All,

I rebuilt my front porch last summer as it was rotting... I replaced the porch floor with pine tongue in groove flooring. I nailed each board to the joists beneath and used a glue before nailing (mistake... I believe).

Now, some floor boards have spaced. I am wondering what I can do to fix the problem without replacing the flooring. I'm guessing caulk is not the answer, but would any filler work appropriatley?

I've attached a picture...

What do you think? I appreciate any thoughts.

Front Porch Floor-img_1092.jpg

Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Front Porch Floor

Why do you think there is a problem? Your floor looks perfectly normal. Remember that solid wood flooring such as you used is going to shrink and expand laterally anywhere from 1 to 3 percent over the course of a year as humidity changes. This means that in a ten foot wide floor, you are going to experience dimensional changes of approximately 1 to 3 inches, which of course has to be taken up somehow.

In interior floors, the humidity induced dimensional changes are generally accounted for by leaving a substantial gap around the outside, and covering the gap with molding. I can't tell, but perhaps your floor has no restraints on the outside? In any case, as this is a porch, it is not conditioned space, so dimensional changes in the wood are to be expected. Most decks are built with a uniform gap between boards, my deck has about 1/8 inch gaps between 1x4 boards. The gaps close up in the summer, and open in the winter, due to humidity changes. Since you have no apparent gaps, the boards move and create gaps themselves, but I don't see this as a problem, just a fact of wood.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (04-27-2012)