Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
pugluvr1

Share |
Question

Found this site while looking for inexpensive floor ideas

Hello, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I have a unique problem that is a bit sensitive around my house. We have two pugs that absolutely refuse to be house broken. As a result they have ruined the carpet in my living room. I can't even stand to walk in my front door when I've been out because of the smell. I hate when my kids have friends over and never invite company in because I'm so embarrassed. I've shampooed the carpet so many times it's ridiculous. I plan to just rip up the carpet probably next weekend and was going to paint the floor until I realized how much work that was going to be. I've discovered the brown paper bag floor method of covering the floor and really would like to try it. I'm looking for either other suggestions before I move forward with this or advise on how to do this method with nowhere to put the furniture, no door to close off the room and animals in the house. This is really just the beginning. I have so many issues I need assistance with that I suspect I'll be burning up my computer keyboard on this site.

Thank you in advance for any comments.
pugluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

WHat is the "brown paper bag floor method of covering a floor"?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Tileguy

Everyone wants "cheap" these days and many have come here trying to clean up an animal mess they allowed to happen. Seems everyone has an excuse as to why the animals can't be trained or why they themselves won't be trained. If you are going to live in a barnyard and expect anything to change I'm thinking it isn't going to.

Why not stick with a more conventional floor covering like sheet-vinyl that can be readily cleaned if the notion ever strikes?

The "brown paper bag" thing is about as silly of an idea as I have heard of for a floor covering. That is an eclectic method of covering a wall but really isn't suitable for a floor, especially a floor with unruly untrained pissing dogs.

There are plenty of threads here about your exact nasty situation, you could do a search and see what has transpired here in the past. Short of getting realistic there are no miracle answers for animal lovers that like to wallow in this type of a mess.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
Floor Doc (10-01-2011), rusty baker (10-01-2011), sixeightten (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #4

I think vinyl would probably be a good choice for you. They even make vinyl planks that look just like laminate now.

I wouldn't recommend painting your floor though, unless you're going to do it 1000%. I have stained concrete floors and it is not so easy to clean, probably because I never sealed it. Even without the sealant, it is indeed a lot of work. It works for me as is though.

Rather, what I would recommend is taking your pugs to the vet to see why they won't get housebroken. Do you let them out when you're gone? Have you tried crate training? A lot of people say their pets won't do things, when really, they haven't taken the time (and it takes a LOT of time to train a dog to do anything) to train them properly. Granted, there really are some pets that are stubborn. I'd still make a trip to the vet to see if there's anything wrong with them.
toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilet View Post
I think vinyl would probably be a good choice for you. They even make vinyl planks that look just like laminate now.

I wouldn't recommend painting your floor though, unless you're going to do it 1000%. I have stained concrete floors and it is not so easy to clean, probably because I never sealed it. Even without the sealant, it is indeed a lot of work. It works for me as is though.

Rather, what I would recommend is taking your pugs to the vet to see why they won't get housebroken. Do you let them out when you're gone? Have you tried crate training? A lot of people say their pets won't do things, when really, they haven't taken the time (and it takes a LOT of time to train a dog to do anything) to train them properly. Granted, there really are some pets that are stubborn. I'd still make a trip to the vet to see if there's anything wrong with them.
I agree with allmost all of this except, after 40 years of installing carpet, all cats/dogs urinate on the carpets some. You will never completely break them. I have had HO's tell me many times thru the years that their animal never urinates on the floor, but I always find someplace that they have.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
I agree with allmost all of this except, after 40 years of installing carpet, all cats/dogs urinate on the carpets some. You will never completely break them. I have had HO's tell me many times thru the years that their animal never urinates on the floor, but I always find someplace that they have.
I dunno.... my 2 dogs have never peed on the floors anywhere since the first week of being here as pups. ...but I was here all day to train them too.
I can leave them home all day alone, (not that I do that very often, but sometimes it's necessary) and never come home to a booboo anywhere.
The damn CATS, on the other hand..... well, I won't go there.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

I never said trained pets don't make messes sometimes.. it's just more likely that pets ruining carpet is probably due to a lack of training or not being allowed out in time to make it.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilet View Post
I never said trained pets don't make messes sometimes.. it's just more likely that pets ruining carpet is probably due to a lack of training or not being allowed out in time to make it.
I hope you aren't commenting on my last post, I agree with you about the vinyl!
(but sheet, not planks, where it could seep between the planks and stink still.)
I was letting rusty know that not ALL dogs have accidents..... but he's right in that MOST do.

DM
Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Tileguy

Careful DM, don't follow me into the abyss.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Careful DM, don't follow me into the abyss.
It's hard not to Bud, you leave little poopy trails all over the forum for us to slip on or clean up!

DM
Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Tileguy

Quote:
It's hard not to Bud, you leave little poopy trails all over the forum for us to slip on or clean up!
Thank you. It's always good to know I am appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I hope you aren't commenting on my last post, I agree with you about the vinyl!
(but sheet, not planks, where it could seep between the planks and stink still.)
I was letting rusty know that not ALL dogs have accidents..... but he's right in that MOST do.

DM
Nope, I should have quoted rusty baker.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
the Musigician

Yes Bud, you make all of our lives so much more exciting by your being here.

DM
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #14

We have three (yes three) Yorke's. Hardest animal there ever was to train. My solution is when I'm not at home to watch for the little signs of " I need to pee", is keep them in crates. When I come home the first thing I do is put them out and they aren't allowed back in until they do their business. Funny, I had a friend put down carpet in a bedroom last week and we were discussing that very topic. Each time he hears customers say that their little sweeties never go in the house, he flips the carpet over and shows them the rings. He had one lady insist they were dog urine. So he cut one out and handed it to her to smell. She changed her tune. You have to know this guy to understand how he got away with that demo without making the woman mad. But he has a personality that makes him likable even doing that
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Many little kids pee in their closets, too. And that smells worse than dog urine. Truth is, people gradually get where they don't notice the smell. If you have a dog or cat and carpet, I WILL find urine when I change it.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote