Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #1

Share |

Fortified Thinset

When I ordered material for my new construction tile job, I ordered Shaw Multiset thinset. Towards the end of the job, I ran out of thinset so I ran to HD and grabbed a bag of thinset off the shelf. When I got home and started mixing this new thinset, I noticed that it was totally different from what I've been using. The consistancy was different, it felt sticker, and it "notched" alot smoother. It was like spreading icing on a cake. After re-reading the bag, I noticed that the only diff between it and my old stuff was that it was "Fortified" thinset.

What exactly is fortified thinset. Whats the difference between in and regular multiset? Did I screw up by using it?

Thanks.
poolecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Tileguy

Fortified Thinset

Hi Poole,

Your Multiset is 'fortified' too. There are several terms, 'fortified, modified, latex, polymer', etc. These thinset mortar are either blended with dry latex in the bag, or mixed with an additive instead of water. This type of mortar has more strength, has flex, and is generally better than thinsets that are 'unmodified'.

You would have to read the data sheets to learn more. The difference you noticed was just the difference between one and another. Which thinset at HD did you buy? Modified thinsets generally cost from the low teens, ($13-14), to $40-60 for some real good stuff. There are also special mortars that cost well over $130 or so.

Jaz

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #3

Fortified Thinset

The one bag I got from HD was Versabond fortified white thinset. The 20 bags I originall bought was Shaw multiset in grey.

There was a world of difference in the two. Thats why I thought I might have bought a bag of something "weird".

Thanks,
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Tileguy

Fortified Thinset

Nothing weird about VersaBond, it's a very basic 'entry-level' modified thinset. I wonder who makes the thin sets for Shaw? Do you still happen to have a bag left to see what ANSI spec it is supposed to meet.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #5

Fortified Thinset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Nothing weird about VersaBond, it's a very basic 'entry-level' modified thinset. I wonder who makes the thin sets for Shaw? Do you still happen to have a bag left to see what ANSI spec it is supposed to meet.

Jaz

Yeah, I have an empty bag or two laying around. I'll see what I can find out about it.

I work for Shaw, so I'm able to get all the flooring and supplies for my new home at manufacturing cost...