Foresta Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Foresta Flooring

We're going to be building a new home this summer. We've completely abused the carpet in our current home, so before we move, we'll be recarpeting...or something. So we're in a perfect position to try things out before putting it in our new home.

I'm trying to find ANYONE with ANYTHING to say about Foresta Flooring. Their website is very limited, but the jist of it is that the flooring is laminate on pvc. Waterproof, slip resistant, they say. I called their number (in NY) and got a return call within 4 hours, then four hours later, a supervisor called to make sure I'd had all my questions answered. That was about 3 days ago, and my samples arrived this morning. I had a quick question about it, so I emailed and got a return call within the hour. Thus far, I'm very impressed by their customer service. Of course, I'm not needing technical help or having issues with the product, so they may still be in their "sell it" mode.

I gotta say, these samples are beautiful. They click together audibly, they have texture, and they are very realistic looking and are very heavy. They quoted me $7.50 sq ft. My initial reaction was...yikes. But if it's really waterproof, and it looks this good, maybe the investment is worth it.

I've looked at Konecto, which looks nice, but I'm pretty nervous about the whole "lifting, buckling, and separation" issue. I've looked at Allure, which is apparently the thinner version of Konecto. We've got 5 boxes of it that we're going to install this weekend, to see how it goes. Yes, I know to roll it until the cows come home. It's been sitting upside down on the floor it's going on, for 4 days.

So does anyone out there know about this product, or know of anyone that has it?

Advertisement

Cecosugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Foresta Flooring

I installed in my basement. Here are the pros and cons based on my experience after having installed regular laminate (dupont) in one part of the basement and foresta in another:

Pros for Foresta:
No concerns with getting water
Looks quite nice
Fairly flexible (i.e., has more give than regular laminate and seems to bear with minor dips and peaks better than laminate.)
Good support from sales during the selling process
It is a bit more durable from major dents, etc.. when dropping heavy objects
Real easy to cut... all you need is a jig saw and a few inexpensive blades.
It doesn't create the same mess/dust all over the house as it does when you cut laminate.

Cons for Foresta:
Harder to put together than regular laminate
Seams slip apart
If a real heavy object drops on it, it will all the way through and leave a gaping hole (this was a done on a test piece and shouldn't normally happen unless you are in the habit of carrying crow bars around at a desk height and allowing them to drop.) The same test did bad damage to regualar laminate... but since the regular laminate is not 'hollow' the same level of destruction did not occur
Support / call backs after the installation began were ignored.
'Snapping' the pieces together is more difficult than with dupont laminate
Don't scrape any heavy plastic along the flooring. It scrapes very very easily.
Expensive

Overall: I'm not sure wheather it was worth it. I do have a measure of confidence in the installation that I would not have with laminate. I don't have to worry about the hot water heater leaking and ruining everything or an unexpected basement leak. My true determination on whether it was worth it will be in another year or two after I can see how the Dupont v.s. Foresta has held up.

Hope this info helps.

Advertisement

Last edited by M224; 06-09-2009 at 09:49 PM.
M224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Foresta Flooring

That is really great information. Thank you! I'm still trying to decide on my flooring, and it really helps to hear from someone that has put it down. The cost is a big deal. The product looks great, I'll bet. They do have some on "clearance" in the $5/sq ft range.
Cecosugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Foresta Flooring

I ordered samples of the Floresta flooring and was very disappointed.

All the pictures of the flooring on the website appear smooth and reflective/shiny. The samples I got looked nothing like the pictures on the website and were nothing like the Pergo flooring I was replacing.

The sample flooring I got had zero shine or reflection, was not smooth at all, had a course texture to it that seemed like it would scrape your knees if kneeling down on the floor. The flooring looked dull and unfinished. The flooring looked and felt like unfinished/uncoated bare wood.

The Pergo I had was professional looking, shiny, reflective, smooth, making it easy to clean and not rough on your knees.

I called the company to verify that the sample are of actual finished product. They said yes.

Last edited by ScoobyDFW; 06-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.
ScoobyDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #5

Foresta Flooring

I just found Foresta flooring. I found it VERY similar to a product offered by a local company under the brand Mill Creek. Their quote was $10/sq.ft.!!!! Seems like a mixed review here. One of my big concerns was the ability of this product to hold a pool table. The local company said no problem. What do those of you with the samples think?
seamus Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #6

Foresta Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus Mc View Post
I just found Foresta flooring. I found it VERY similar to a product offered by a local company under the brand Mill Creek. Their quote was $10/sq.ft.!!!! Seems like a mixed review here. One of my big concerns was the ability of this product to hold a pool table. The local company said no problem. What do those of you with the samples think?
They said it will hold a pool table no prob.
Got my samples....... They scratch VERY EASILY!!!
Going with laminate.

Advertisement

seamus Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allure , foresta , konecto