Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Floors meeting under doors

Two rooms with a connecting door have different floor coverings. There is a narrow threshold strip at the join. How should this strip be placed relative to the door?

It is clear that, with the door closed, the flooring of one room should not be visible from the other. My gut feeling is that the room into which the door opens "owns" the door and that the join should be immediately underneath the outside of the door thus defined, hence half of the threshold strip would be under the door and half in the room that does not own it. However, what is correct?

Graham_in_Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Tileguy

Typically the center of the door rules. But since you have put so much thought into your conclusion go ahead and do it your way.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Typically the center of the door rules. But since you have put so much thought into your conclusion go ahead and do it your way.
Thanks Bud.

I have now researched other properties, well two anyway, and have discovered that the centre of the door does indeed rule. Three out of three is enough for me! I will do that. Thanks again.

Graham_in_Devon
UK
Graham_in_Devon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doors, flooring, threshold