Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Smile

Which flooring would be best for a short time homeowner?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and think it's wonderful. I have a question that may seem a little silly in context but it is important to me. I have a 2 story 2700 sqft house with absolutely horrible builder grade carpet. We have lived here for 10 years and just really occupy the downstairs mostly the den, so the carpet in here is 'not nice'. The den is connected to the kitchen, breakfast room and also the stairs, dining room and master. The carpet is in need of stretching in most areas even the ones that weren't lived in much. We only plan to stay here another 5 years, sell and retire to our country home. I have just sold my rent house and have a little extra money now and would like to replace the carpet in the den (for sure) but I know that really looks bad just in one room. I am not a carpet person, (allergies) and would really like some ideas on economic flooring I could use to replace the den, dining room, (kitchen & breakfast room too maybe) that would not break the bank or even dent it too much. Like I said, we are retiring soon and I'd like to be able to take some of this money with me, but also re-do the floor so that it is still in buyer friendly condition. Oh, did I mention I have 2 inside dogs and 1 outside dog that wants to be an inside dog. Anyway, any help from you DIY'rs would be greatly, hugely appreciated. Thanks.

karenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

A nice carpet and sheet vinyl combination that flowed color wise and so forth would be your cheapest approach. Put nice padding under a low to mid-range price stain resistant carpet and it should last you until you move on and still look decent. I know what you are saying about allergens though. Carpet is the worst.

Next step up would be laminate I suppose but I have not installed enough of it to really comment since my clients generally do not like it. I put upper tier laminate it in my Godparents home since they were in a similar situation to yours and it served its purpose. They no longer had pets scratching at it and were careful with it.

Ceramic for some areas is a possibility.

On the upper end is of course stone and hardwood or bamboo. Before real estate markets tanked, you could usually count on getting your money back out of natural floors.

Have you checked to see what you can put into your home and get back out in the real estate market where you are?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

I'd say hardwood or tile. If you live in a slightly rural setting, you might have mills near by that make hardwood flooring fairly cheap. Whatever you do, not only will it make the house better for you use, it will add to the value and sell-ability of the house when you are done with it, so don't skimp too much.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

what is your budget that you are looking to stay within...and what are the room sizes ...one kind of floor for all or seperate shots for each room....????
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Maybe you have wood floors under the carpet that could be refinished. It's worth checking. This would be the most affordable option and it would hold up well with pets.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, economic flooring, floor, re-do floor