DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Flooring (
-   -   Flooring vs Subflooring (whatever it is called) (

lifeontherun 07-08-2008 11:12 AM

Flooring vs Subflooring (whatever it is called)
Purchased the home three years ago, it has "wood" looking vinyl through out. Now the material the vinyl is attached to is coming up, you can see the corners of this material. My husband and I have a discussion of what this is called, I believe it is the subflooring and he states it is the flooring. As you can see if we don't know what it is called we can not look up how to fix this problem.
Also, if you have any suggestions on how to help fix this problem it would be deeply appreciated. Since I think it should have been tongue & grooved boards and screwed to joyces prior to the walls being set.
Thank you for any help you may give.

26yrsinflooring 07-09-2008 08:12 PM

It sounds like a Luann this can release over time if it was not installed properly. Luann is 1/4 underlaymnet that has been advised bythe vinyl manufactures for years, about 5 years ago the vinyl manufactures changed thier postion and started voiding warranties on luan installed product and advised that birch underlayment was the better choice.

This could also just be a plywood subfloor showing its edges because itwas not overlaid with the poper subfloor.
What we call this in the trade is very simply:
"The subfloor is photgraphing"

There is no good fix for this it normally mean itis time to replace the floor.

Big Bob 07-13-2008 02:49 PM

Sounds like your floor covering is called "Vinyl Plank" 3' long and either 3" or 6" wide. Can be peel & stick or glue down.

subfloor and underlayment have been described very well.

now if you can post a pic of the problem we might be able to help you with repair options.

shumakerscott 07-13-2008 03:03 PM

Pictures would really help.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1