Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Share |

Flooring suggestions

I am seeking suggestions on what to use for flooring on my retirement house that I have built.
The house is 2 bedrooms, bathroom, utility room, pantry room and an open living room - kitchen - dining room; total of 1200 sq. ft.

The floor consists 2x8 joists spanning 8' on 19.2" centers.
The subfloor is 3/4" T&G Advantech, glued and screwed.

My wife and I both hate carpet, so carpet is out.

I have been building this house basically on SS income, so cost is a big factor; in fact, I would like to not exceed $2/sq. ft. for the flooring, if possible.

I have installed cheap laminate snap together flooring before in a house and I was not very thrilled with it's performance.

I think the floor is stiff enough for ceramic, but not sure we would want that in the LR or bedrooms. ( Not enthused about the labor to install it either.)

Kind of wondering about continuous vinyl sheeting everywhere and then some large area rugs in the LR and BR's. (However, I definitely don't want to use those cheap vinyl squares that are notorious for becoming unstuck)

I've heard where some have just covered the subfloor with finished plywood and then put a hardened finish (polyurethane ?) on it.

Is there any new continuous sheeting products out there that are relatively inexpensive yet highly rated for wear ?

Would like something that wears fairly well, doesn't dent too easily, easy to clean, not too difficult to install, and can be wet mopped.

All suggestions appreciated,
Arky
Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Flooring suggestions

At the price your looking to pay your down to painting the floor or really cheap linolium, both of which will not last.
If you looking for a floor that's going to last 20 plus years your going to have to spend more money.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote