Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |

Flooring questions

Hello all!

I am trying to start a project that I have no idea how to explain. I want to recreate my favorite hotel room and the space is a studio apartment so I think it would work out.

Basically, I am wanting to put in a floating floor that runs for a portion of the space, and has a lip or trim piece that makes it look like it was meant to be that way and not just a rough edge.. It will be on top of an armstrong commercial floor and there is going to be a custom made area rug on the other end. I want the floor to look like a platform and not be inset like the picture below. How would I accomplish this?

Here is a link to my inspiration room (the Graves 601 in Minneapolis, MN):
jkbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #2

Flooring questions

Confusing, no form of floating floor can be used on a wall.
Any type of flooring added over what you have now is going to raise the level of the floor so there would have to be some form of border where the two differant floors meet.
Only way I can think of to get around that would be to raise all the other floors by adding plywood then laying the carpet to make up for the differance.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

Flooring questions

I'm not sure if I worded my question properly ?

I am wanting it to look raised like a platform, but the picture shows it sunk into the carpet... So I am wanting the opposite of the picture, I just don't know what kind of border to put or how I would attach it to the flooring if it is a floating floor? I mean, since the floor isn't going wall to wall, am I going to have issues with the floor moving around on me? There will be a bed on the platform floor and a nightstand etc..

I am not planning on doing the wall, but the wall was built on a box and the flooring was secured to it and mounted to the wall. I'm thinking about doing the wall, but am not sure yet.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Flooring questions

I guess what I am looking for is flooring reducer molding and then pin nail it to the flooring? With the pad and the flooring, that would make it thick enough to use the reducers right?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Flooring questions

It sounds like what you want to do is a raised floor. It should be simple enough to build up plywood in whatever thicknesses you need to get to your finished height, taking into account the thickness of the actual flooring you are going to use. When the flooring is installed, you can trim the edges with 1 X maple on edge, ripped to the width you need. This would conceal the edges of the plywood and flooring and give you a place to fasten the transition strip. You would have to get a carpet guy involved to replace the tack strip and re do the carpeting around the platform you have built.

It sounds like a great project - good luck with it!

Jim.
j kuzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

Flooring questions

If you went with engineered hard wood flooring you could do the wall and floor. They make all kinds of real wood transition strips that would work fine.
http://www.flooringsupplyshop.com/ha...ion-pieces-51/

Last edited by joecaption; 01-08-2012 at 08:57 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote