Flooring Over Concrete Slab (enclosed Patio) - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

flooring over concrete slab (enclosed patio)

Yesterday I was at a home and garden show that had on display travetine tiles and other stone slabs set in sand within "outdoor rooms." That got me to wondering,
a) "What thickness of tile or stone would work well set in sand on top of the rather uneven concrete slabs we have within our enclosed patio?" 1/2 inch? ...5/8? ...1"? The travetine on display was 1 inch thick.
b) "How little thickness of sand would be sufficient to set the tiles/stone slabs?" The displays, which did allow people to walk on them, did not have any grout between the tiles/stone slabs. The tiles had no sand visible either; the other had it visible between the slabs.
c) "What other materials COULD be used? slate? ...ceramic tiles? ...or maybe porcelain tiles?

Our climate is 1-3 mild freezes (22 F at worst) per Winter. And seems to be less than a week long (i.e., 2-3 days).

I've looked at epoxy, but don't want to lay something that will be a pain to tear up 5-7 years.

Advertisement

1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

i'd have the conc patio level'd then apply a cementitious o'lay to it but this isn't really diy as you might've watch'd on tv,,, there isn't any tile that'll stay-in-place when its subject to freeze/thaw cycles imo.

epoxy is NOT a material you want to use outside,,, that's why they invented MORTAR

Advertisement

so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

3 things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-elitecrete View Post
i'd have the conc patio level'd then apply a cementitious o'lay to it but this isn't really diy as you might've watch'd on tv,,,
1) What's the cost & basics of what's all involved? How much am I looking st since it's not DIY?

2) how much work will I be looking at in 5-7 years when we think we'll have enough saved to "re-do" this whole room? We're thinking of tearing out about 2/3rds of the concrete, and removing the wooden & glass "wall"

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-elitecrete View Post
there isn't any tile that'll stay-in-place when its subject to freeze/thaw cycles imo.
3) what do you mean by "stay in place" (= not crack?) or ??? Thanks
1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

wtr penetrates the mortar jnts whereupon it will freeze,,, this ' freeze - thaw ' cycle eventually loosens tiles/slates/stones,,, concrete o'lays bond to the existing conc - you can level existing conc, repair divots, resolve ' dusting ' conditions, etc.

today, probably mtl costs're in the $1.50 -$ 2.00 range depending on severity,,,

today, labor might be $3.00,,, however, 5 - 7 yrs, who knows,,, but saving for a couple yrs prompts this suggestion - get into the craft yourself,,, e me.

best !
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote