Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flooring Over Concrete

I Would Appreciate Any Advice, Pro Or Cons On Flooring Over A Concrete Slab.
I Am Looking At Kardean, Konecto, Forestaflooring Or Flexitec.

patty k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flooring Over Concrete

Most flooring over below grade concrete needs some kind of moisture barrier. But do a simple test to check if flooring is even an option. Tape a piece of aluminum foil or plastic, about 12' square, to the floor, seal all edges. Check under it in a few days. If dry, you can install anything you want; if some moisture, a vapor barrier is needed; if wet, don't install a floor, it will not last.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #3

Flooring Over Concrete

Thank you for your reply, my slab is above grade and seems to be dry.
Have you used any of the following products-Konecto, Kardean, Flexitec or Forestafloor. I am looking for a vinyl locking floor which looks like wood planks.
patty k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Flooring Over Concrete

You can look at my many other posts if you like. I would not recommend Konecto on concrete at all. There are many many stories just like mine. Plus I have 600 s.f. level that is wood and the Konecto is still not working. For some reason it has more problems with the glue on concrete.

The installers that came to try to "fix" our Konecto did say they were not as familiar with the Sierra or Country lines. He has installed Prestige probably 99% of the time. The Prestige is very pricey for a product that may or may not work. We bought the middle of the road Sierra line at the suggestion of our retailer. He said that is what he would personally use in his home. Supposedly same warranty and durability. You can see from my story that warranty means nothing.

So my Konecto Opinion or Review would be to AVOID Konecto on concrete and because of what we are dealing with - Avoid it completely. It is a hassle to deal with. Had we bought flooring from Lowes or Home Depot they would have taken back the 77 boxes we have not opened without a blink. We had a total of 141 boxes.

Thanks
jennydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
MN

Flooring Over Concrete

Jenny,

I have personally installed 1000s of sq ft of Flexitec over concrete and had no problems with it in regard to the product itself.
The only problems that I have seen have been typical vinyl flooring problems caused by people carelessly moving appliances, etc. As with any vinyl or resilient floor, you have to be careful with appliances, furniture legs and such.
Flexitec, like most manufacturers, has a wide range of products as far as quality, durability and price.
Their Wonderwood Collection is above average for overall thickness and warranty, mid-range price and has a good selection of wood patterns.
The level of use the area will get should determine the amount of money you're willing to spend. Less use? = less quality = less money
Generally, you will get what you pay for with vinyl flooring.
Flexitec is also a fiberglass backed product, which makes it almost completely waterproof.
It installs with a "pressure sensitive" adhesive, which makes replacement much easier compared to standard felt back vinyl products.
Therefore, I highly recommend Flexitec; have sold and installed hundreds of projects with it and it's not a product that will break the budget or that you would feel guilty about replacing 10-15 years down the road.
Good luck,

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-02-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed from Signature Line
TileAndTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

Flooring Over Concrete

Have you, as an installer, had any complaints of the flexitec vinyl flooring (over a new wood subfloor) developing bubbles over it's entire surface after 6 months. There is no history of water on the floor (it's in a kitchen over a basement - likewise, no water in the basement). Have had the installer back who says he will need another bucket of adhesive. Guess the question is "why did the bubbles appear and will it happen again if the reason is unknown?". Thanks.
maggiemay1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Flooring Over Concrete

Just wondering if he used the right adhesive in the first place?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Flooring Over Concrete

2-yr old post.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote