Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Flooring options for mountain cabin

Hello,

I'm in the process of purchasing a mountain cabin where the average low temperature for 6 months out of the year is below 40 degrees fahrenheit. The average high temperature during those same months is ~20 degrees higher during the afternoon. Given there is occasional snow and lots of rain during these months, I'm looking for a suggestion on the best flooring option to replace the 30+ year old carpet currently in the house that will hold up to high traffic and wet conditions. All flooring will be installed over an existing wood subfloor.

I've read several reviews about the pros/cons of wood vs. laminate vs. vinyl vs. tile - and frankly, I'm not finding a clear answer.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
M

mjbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbasset View Post
Hello,

I'm in the process of purchasing a mountain cabin where the average low temperature for 6 months out of the year is below 40 degrees fahrenheit. The average high temperature during those same months is ~20 degrees higher during the afternoon. Given there is occasional snow and lots of rain during these months, I'm looking for a suggestion on the best flooring option to replace the 30+ year old carpet currently in the house that will hold up to high traffic and wet conditions. All flooring will be installed over an existing wood subfloor.

I've read several reviews about the pros/cons of wood vs. laminate vs. vinyl vs. tile - and frankly, I'm not finding a clear answer.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
M
Unfortunately there is no "clear answer". This question about cabins comes up frequently and the truth is no matter what floor covering you choose you run the risk of having issues. It just seems to go with the territory.

My personal opinion is that carpet will serve the best in the long-run but of course carpet isn't always the most desirable floor covering either.

You can listen to what others have had some measure of success with over the years and form your opinion based on that information. The truth is...cabin-like domiciles that experience temperature extremes and lie dormant and neglected a portion of the year and year after year are just a problem to deal with sometimes.

The hardest thing on any building is vacancy.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
mjbasset (05-15-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

It all depends on if you want to vacuum carpet. Vinyl flooring is what most use in Seasonal cabins. Easier to keep clean. If you want a rug in there. Take them up when you go up there to open for the season. Then take them home at the end of the season.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mjbasset (05-15-2014)

Tags
flooring, laminate, tile, wet, wood