Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

flooring options if you have large dogs

We have three large dogs and want to put a nice looking flooring throughout our house (family room, kithchen, entryway). What would be an option? Is a prefinished oak or engineerd floor okay? Laminates look kinda cheap but seem pretty durable. thanks for help

EFTHIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

That will work fine, just do not cheap out and buy the thinest one out there. The thicker it is the more times it can be refinished.
What there for a subfloor?

Also make sure to keep up with cutting the dogs nails. I sometimes have you to 5 dogs hanging out in my house and I've had not issues with my engineered floors.
I only have one dog but she likes to invite every dog in the area over for dinner and sleep overs. lol

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Take a look at nice quality bamboo. You can get it any a rainbow of colors and as typical nail down flooring or as engineered panels. Bamboo is harder than domestic hardwoods. Strand bamboo composite is harder still. Good companies ship it with a great finish and nice warranty. Here is one company whose products I specified a lot. Installers loved working with it. It also qualifies for LEED credits and so forth that might save you a few cents on income taxes.

www.duro-design.com

There are also some nice deals out there on exotic hardwood flooring. New it is special but some of the recycled blends from Asia and Indonesia look spectacular when laid down and finished. They are stronger than domestic hardwoods.

Dogs will probably tear up the laminate layer of such flooring, especially the lower end materials. And at the end of the day, laminate flooring is laminate flooring and looks it. It can never look the same as real, nice flooring. And unlike other materials like hardwood or bamboo, you cannot refinish the surface if the dogs do scratch up the finish.

Tile might be an option for floors the dogs really spend a lot of time on. Again, look beyond cheap box store stuff at a real flooring store.

Last edited by user1007; 04-27-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added URL and Hardness Chart
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Floor-ist

Rewards Points: 10

I've owned dogs and wood floors for quite some time myself. Wear layer or not, very few woods can stand up to dog traffic unless you trim claws very short.

Your dogs will likely tear up any type of wood floor overtime. There are a few floors that have Nanotechnology-based wear layers now that MIGHT stand up to large dog/claw traffic, but wood is always gunna be wood.

If you want a good looking product that people walking into my store confuse with wood all the time, and that was able to survive a weekend under 2" of water when we had a flood back a couple years ago, I'd recommend Mannington Adura Luxury Vinyl Planks. An alternative for those who don't like glue down is Carpet One Invincible Click Vinyl, a brand new type of click product.

Any questions, hit me back, I'm happy to help if I can.
carpetone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpetone For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-01-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I suggest a very hard wood floor. Solid not engineered. I would also suggest doing multiple coatings of a very tough finish. I like Bona traffic.
RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote