Flooring Options - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flooring Options

I'm looking for a floor that is not synthetic (no vinyl), affordable, and durable. I would love to have polished concrete but we are in a raised home and have been told that it will crack too much. Any suggestions???

Advertisement

imanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flooring Options

CORK! Po)

made from renewable sources, it's strong, soft and warm in the winter!

(used in the Library of Congress for the last 100 years. (quiet too!)

DM

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

Flooring Options

I would love to have cork but it is a little expensive and I'm not convinced that it will hold up to 5 kids, 2 cats, 1 dog, and random chickens that sneak in when the door is open...not to mention whatever else the kids and hubby drag in (ok so I'm guilty of it too lol). In all seriousness, I would love to have a concrete floor with a big drain hole in the center.

Tile was a consideration until we were told that it would crack due to house movement. We will have it in the bathrooms though.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
the Musigician

Flooring Options

aha... then your post SHOULD have read...."I'm looking for a floor that is not synthetic (no vinyl), affordable and durable that will hold up to 5 kids, 2 cats, 1 dog, and random chickens that sneak in when the door is open...not to mention whatever else the kids and hubby drag in!"
Details make all the difference here, huh? lol
In your case, cheap vinyl may BE the best/only way to go.... it's cheap enough to replace every few years until the traffic slows down....

DM
Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #5

Flooring Options

Ok so maybe it isn't as bad as it seems...at least not bad enough to go vinyl. I've tried my best to eliminate as much PVC as possible.

We're actually thinking about installing utility grade hickory from Lumber Liquidators (http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...ubCategoryId=0). Yeah it will be a lot of work finishing and whatnot but we're ok with that. What are your thoughts?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
the Musigician

Flooring Options

Any type of hardwood flooring you lay will have similar finishes, aluminum oxide is a factory finish that holds up well to wear, but with that much traffic, maybe stainless steel flooring might be better? -=chuckle=-
Berber carpet might be better?

DM
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Flooring Options

what happens to hardwood when Kids dogs , trikes animals etc , Especially when kids get water in it repeatedly , It will shrink and expand a little from moisture change, If the kids get water on it from the sink it will gap and look ugly , Hardwood is ok in the kitchen , But not with the household you have , I don't know why anyone told you tile will crack , Unless you have floors that flex alot , does it rattle the kitchen wear when you bounce around a little ? Or flex when you jump on it . ? Honestly ...My web site mentions kids and dogs , People don't realize .Hardwood is not bullet proof , I lose sales because i am honest , I would say try a different choice , Smaller tiles flex more with the floor and follow the contour better , Try 4 inch or 6 inch , You have been to Lum Lick .Get the cheap Super cheap laminate and slap it down right over the top of what ever is there now , Then when the kids get off the trikes , Over the water fights , And done throwing the ball in the housefor the dog ,Then make a flooring decision , Hech home depot has some stuff called traffic master tht will go righ over it , O Yeah you wanted eco friendly , Well I am unaware of much that is eco friendly besides hardwood , or tile . If tile is propery seated it is not easy to break , And you can replace a tile if one breaks , I can't see any one breaking a bunch of tiles , I really think tile is a good choice ,
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
Carpenter/Rehabber

Rewards Points: 25

Flooring Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomahardwood. View Post
what happens to hardwood when Kids dogs , trikes animals etc , Especially when kids get water in it repeatedly , It will shrink and expand a little from moisture change, If the kids get water on it from the sink it will gap and look ugly , Hardwood is ok in the kitchen , But not with the household you have , I don't know why anyone told you tile will crack , Unless you have floors that flex alot , does it rattle the kitchen wear when you bounce around a little ? Or flex when you jump on it . ? Honestly ...My web site mentions kids and dogs , People don't realize .Hardwood is not bullet proof , I lose sales because i am honest , I would say try a different choice , Smaller tiles flex more with the floor and follow the contour better , Try 4 inch or 6 inch , You have been to Lum Lick .Get the cheap Super cheap laminate and slap it down right over the top of what ever is there now , Then when the kids get off the trikes , Over the water fights , And done throwing the ball in the housefor the dog ,Then make a flooring decision , Hech home depot has some stuff called traffic master tht will go righ over it , O Yeah you wanted eco friendly , Well I am unaware of much that is eco friendly besides hardwood , or tile . If tile is propery seated it is not easy to break , And you can replace a tile if one breaks , I can't see any one breaking a bunch of tiles , I really think tile is a good choice ,

The "." and "enter" key can be your friends, or at least our friends.
moorewarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 152

Flooring Options

True linoleum is supposed to be eco-friendly, isn't it?

fyi: concrete gives off a lot of co2 .. so not super earth friendly, if you're thinking of these issues! Nothing's going to be perfect, except maybe dirt (or keeping what you have).

Last edited by lazzlazz; 04-07-2010 at 05:24 PM.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #10

Flooring Options

Linoleum is green but expensive. Yeah, I've thought about co2 and everything else...seems like you just can't win right? But for this product I would have to say that I am more concerned with indoor air quality.

The house is new construction so right now we have plywood. We're rebuilding from Katrina and the wood pilings are the only thing left from the original house. My husband and I have done most of the design and construction ourselves but were screwed over by a contractor (the first and only part of the construction that we subbed out) and are trying to do the best we can to finish with the little money we have left (see http://katrinasos.wordpress.com/).

The kids are ages 11 to 18 so no trikes...at least not the little red ones anyway.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #11

Flooring Options

Anyone have or know anything about North American Cypress flooring? I can't find much information domestic cypress...everything is about the Australian variety. There are several old, family-run mills in Northern FL and prices seem very reasonable.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 152

Flooring Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanerd View Post
Linoleum is green but expensive. Yeah, I've thought about co2 and everything else...seems like you just can't win right? But for this product I would have to say that I am more concerned with indoor air quality.

The house is new construction so right now we have plywood. We're rebuilding from Katrina and the wood pilings are the only thing left from the original house. My husband and I have done most of the design and construction ourselves but were screwed over by a contractor (the first and only part of the construction that we subbed out) and are trying to do the best we can to finish with the little money we have left (see http://katrinasos.wordpress.com/).

The kids are ages 11 to 18 so no trikes...at least not the little red ones anyway.
About indoor air quality & plywood:
I had 2 sheets delivered for bathroom & placed in living room (out of rain!).
It was warm the week before Easter so windows open.
Went away for 3 days (windows shut); came back & colder (windows shut). Within 24 hours (Mon evening; was out all day until about 3 pm) I had a migraine which simply would not go away. Same Tues & Wed. Finally late Wed night it occurred to me it could be formaldehyde in the plywood (>1 sheet already on bathroom floor). Removed remaining sheet of plywood from house; shut bathroom door & opened window. Migraine gone by next evening. (Plywood stamped Boise Louisiana). Could have been coincidence, but I'm not bringing the sheet back in the house to find out. (Remember the Katrina trailer fiasco with indoor air quality).

If Europe can have standards regulating the allowable offgasing from plywood (formaldehyde), why can't the US?

Last edited by lazzlazz; 04-13-2010 at 12:48 AM.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #13

Flooring Options

@burnell1 I wouldn't mind vinyl if it wasn't made of PVC.

@lazzlazz Sorry to hear of your plywood/formaldehyde problems. We experienced the same symptoms while living in our FEMA camper. But we haven't in the house probably because the plywood was over a year old by the time we moved in and has a layer of lauan over it. I totally agree that the US needs stricter standards on formaldehyde and a lot of other stuff.

Advertisement