Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
kpt

Share |
flooring novice

Greetings,

with regards to the flooring dilemma to my walkout basement (600 Sq ft) i am inclining towards engineered hardwood (rather than laminate). Would really appreciate any advice or comments for my choice.

Also would like to know of any solutions for doing engineered hardwood for the staircase

I am a novice DIY 'er and would like to do it myself.

Advance thanks to any suggestions

kpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

flooring novice

This is the better choice. For stairs some manufacturers will carry the nosing and pieces for the stairs to match, so just select the right one and you are all set to go. Be sure to verify that you have no moisture issues to deal with. Visual inspection means nothing. Use a test kit or at least tape a square of plastic to the floor and inspect it the next day.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
kpt

Smile

flooring novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
This is the better choice. For stairs some manufacturers will carry the nosing and pieces for the stairs to match, so just select the right one and you are all set to go. Be sure to verify that you have no moisture issues to deal with. Visual inspection means nothing. Use a test kit or at least tape a square of plastic to the floor and inspect it the next day.
Today buying laminate instead of en hardwood. looked more appealing.
found (@ home depot) special oak with nose and riser for stairs. 35 $ for 42 " for one .only thing is i got to cut and stain to my floor (walnut).i will post my progress.

Suggestions and ideas are welcome and appreciated always

thanks

KPT

Last edited by kpt; 12-20-2009 at 12:54 PM.
kpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #4

flooring novice

Assuming that it is bare concrete you can place a glass cup in each corner, upside down....
Leave for a day or two. Then come back, if moisture has developed in glass, you have a problem...
JGibbsRemodel is offline   Reply With Quote