Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Flooring-Help Please

I have just added a new level to my home and will not be installing the flooring until next year. If I was to sand and seal the plywood floor now would that create problems in the future when I'm ready to install the flooring?

Any and all info. greatly appreciated. Thanks.

YabbaDabbaDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,080

Flooring-Help Please

I don't see the point of sanding and sealing a plywood subfloor. Why do you feel the need? You're not thinking of using the areas as normal are you?

Having said that, I also don't see any great harm either. Unless there's some unusual moisture situation. You see, there are only a few type of flooring that can be installed direct over your subfloor. Hardwood and carpeting. What type of flooring are you thinking of?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #3

Flooring-Help Please

Yes, I will be using this space hence the sand and seal. I'm not sure what flooring to put down yet. But, I have time to think about it. Cash for the addition didn't take me all the way to flooring.

Do you think that would be good idea to sand and seal as a temp?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Tileguy

Flooring-Help Please

NO!

You're going to get a lot of splinters for one thing. What type of rooms are these? Don't you have to get an occupancy permit? Usually additions means adding a master suite, master bath, closets etc.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #5

Flooring-Help Please

We raised our house one story and doubled our square footage. So we now have a 2 story home. The first floor consists of a family room, a master suite and another bedroom. Our top floor is completely finished as it was the main home to begin with(986sq ft). We really need the space because we are a family of 6. Now we're double the space and need to use it right away but can't purchase flooring until next year. So, we need to find a VERY economical temp solution.

Any advice?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Tileguy

Flooring-Help Please

Yes cheap carpeting. It's the cheapest way to cover a floor. You may be able to find seconds or closeout?

Jaz

Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Flooring-Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Yes cheap carpeting. It's the cheapest way to cover a floor. You may be able to find seconds or closeout?

Jaz
How about some of the loose lay sheet vinyl? At the most you would have to lay down some luan before you put down sheet vinyl that is only about $11/sheet. X about 30 sheets = $330.

We have found some really nice looking sheet vinyl on sale at lowes for .70/sqft, not sure how long it will hold up, but for a temp solution, it's fairly cheap.

Really cheap? Peel and stick tiles, They are horrible, and they like to come up even with proper surface prep, but you can find them for less than .20 a sqft. You put them right onto the luan.

Luan + Cheap peel and stick times = $500 - $600.

Loose lay vinyl is a awesome option if you think your going to redo the floor in the near future, as the name implies, it is loose and very easy to remove when the time comes. (you might even be able to use it without putting down the luan, but you would have to check)

This does not sound like what your doing, but for tempoary protection during construction and such, I put a coat of kilz old based over my A/C plywood underlayment. That was to protect it from water / pet damage for about 3 weeks, while the room was being painted and remodeled. It worked well and allowed me to mop up as necessary without causing damage to the plywood.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,600

Flooring-Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by YabbaDabbaDelicious View Post
We raised our house one story and doubled our square footage. So we now have a 2 story home. The first floor consists of a family room, a master suite and another bedroom. Our top floor is completely finished as it was the main home to begin with(986sq ft). We really need the space because we are a family of 6. Now we're double the space and need to use it right away but can't purchase flooring until next year. So, we need to find a VERY economical temp solution.

Any advice?
Yabba, I was in the same situation you are in now a few years back and I just painted my floors until I could afford carpet. I used enamel and it worked good for me, no splinters and was easy to keep clean.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Flooring-Help Please

I would make sure you find out if only a plywood sub floor that is painted meets code, I am not positive it does.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

Flooring-Help Please

I'm siding with JazMan.. go to a carpet store and buy a roll of cheap, commercial grade carpeting. I'd say it'd be the most comfortable and least messy solution.

I threw a few pieces of the stuff down temporarily in my basement for a christmas party and held it down with 2 sided carpet tape.. I think it only cost me a couple hundred bucks and it actually looked pretty nice.

The stuff is thin so it's not heavy and easy to cut.

skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote