Flooring Help/Advice - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flooring Help/Advice

Hello everyone. I have been a long time reader on these forums, first time poster. I have what I think is a pretty unique situation and hope I can get some expert advice.

Some background: Moved into my house 2 years ago (built in 1979, and looked like it was from 1979), single story on a concrete slab. I immediately began renovating it, first the bathrooms (new tile shower, tiled floors, refinished cabinets, counter top, new fixtures, ect) and they are pretty much done. The entire interior of the house has been painted to give it a much more contemporary look. Refinished the kitchen cabinets, new appliances, new countertop to be installed soon. My next step is to redo the floors in the laundry room, kitchen, dining room, family room and foyer. The current flooring in these rooms is linoleum tile (glued to the slab) in the laundry and kitchen, vinyl tiles on top of (are you ready for this?) a parquet wood floor in the dining room, carpet over the parquet in the family room and finally more vinyl tiles over the parquet in the foyer. My plan was to tile over (I know some people don't recommend it) the linoleum and vinyl, but that was before I discovered the parquet, and I know it's a no-no to tile over that.

So as I see it I can remove all the vinyl and parquet to expose the slab and tile on that, but then I would have a pretty considerable height difference with the carpet. I could rip out the carpet to get to the parquet under it, only to re-carpet. I really didn't want to mess with the linoleum because it might have asbestos in it, and it is solidly glued to the slab. The parquet is solidly attached also.

At this point I am at a loss of what to do, my plans have been pretty well blown out of the water. I'm looking for suggestions, I'm not even holding to tile at this point, I'm considering laminate or some other floor covering. Just something that brings the floor into the 21st century with the rest of the house. To throw even another wrench into things, I'm probably only gonna be in this house for another 3 years before I relocate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Advertisement

maxtek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Flooring Help/Advice

They sell laminite that looks like tile, may be the easy, cheapest way to go.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote